lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
King_Bing1
Not Yet Wild

Default Possible Starter/generator issue

I purchased a used 1991 gas club car. Did the whole replacement kit with new fuel filters, carb, fuel pump, battery, spark plug, and starter/generator. I've seen posts about getting cheap starter generators, but I went through golfcartking and bought a high output S/G at about $260.

The problem is the belt has trouble turning. Almost like there isn't enough power to turn it. After a while the starter starts smoking. How do I tell if the starter is hooked up correctly? How can you tell what tension you need to have on the belt? Do i have it too tight?

Also, I took the top off the motor, cleaned it out and replaced the gasket.

Just getting frustrated with what I am missing.
King_Bing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Possible Starter/generator issue

Does the starter/generator run fine without the belt? Belt should be set pretty tight, but it's one of those things that's hard to tell over the internet if you've got it too tight.

Here's your wiring diagram:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Bing1 View Post
How can you tell what tension you need to have on the belt? Do i have it too tight?
I don't have a way to measure or set tension, so I just get a new belt and keep tightening it until it doesn't slip when starting the engine. I will have to adjust it again as the belt breaks in. After that I am good. You don't want to go any tighter than you have to as it just puts strain on the parts.

If you have a glazed over belt, you could definitely go too tight. I am not saying that is related to the issue you are having.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
King_Bing1
Not Yet Wild

The starter spins great without a belt on it. How do I know if it is spinning the correct direction as well. I think mine is currently spinning counter-clockwise.

Also, sometimes there is a delay or no spinning at all. But that may be me pushing the gas pedal too many times in a row too quickly.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
HBR
Gone Wild

If that is the original engine CCW should be the correct rotation.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
King_Bing1
Not Yet Wild

Can you tell me if this is hooked up right. I have two ground wires. The top one goes through the wire look to the chassis. The bottom one you can see also goes to the chassis. Went are there two grounds for one bolt? Or should the bottom wire be attached somewhere else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180913_191002.jpg (210.3 KB, 0 views)

Tags
1991 club car, starter/generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car