lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Carb settings too rich or too lean?

At 50:1 I would expect to see lots of smoke, are you fogging mosquitoes? Most old school guys that ran dirt bikes and sleds are usually hung up on 50:1. I got into an argument with a sled guy over the 100:1, and when I showed him the manual said 150:1 he remained silent. I know, it's hard to imagine that 100:1 is enough oil, but it is.

Since there's no cam or valvetrain you really don't have to break anything in. The rings are already seated, that usually happens in just 20-30 minutes of run time. On my G1 after rebuild I mixed at 85:1, then switched to 100:1. After 2 years run time I disassembled and inspected, virtually no wear, you could still see the cross hatches in the cylinder and the rings looked nearly new. No wear, no smoke, ran fantastic.

Also, the new synthetic oils mix at a much thinner ratio, something like "Optilube" would be a good choice. I have used that in weed trimmers, blowers, and chain saws. Now I use Echo brand air cooled 2 cycle oil from Home Depot. Both of those oils also treat the ethanol in the fuel and stabilize as well.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
Go4snypr
Not Yet Wild

Well. I just topped her up with a 50:1 2 days ago. I am goong to burn that off and try a 100:1 mixture and see if she runs any better. I had it running real nice but played with the carb a little more now its poppin at me again. I do have a jug of synthetic oil from Klootz, but i have been running a cheap regular 2 stroke oil as suggested to break it in. As for fuel, should i be running premium high octane or just regular gas?
Go4snypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

High octate will help keep cylinder temps down, but probably not necessary since the G1 is such a low compression engine. If the compression ratio was raised from modifications I might tell you yes, but just make sure you have "fresh" gasoline.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
Go4snypr
Not Yet Wild

Gas is fresh, workin on tank 4 since the rebuild. I ordered a new carb, just cant seem to get this one set right. Its a cheap amazon one but hopefully it fixes my problem. The throttle shaft is real loose on mine, wondering if that is part of my issue.
Go4snypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4snypr View Post
Gas is fresh, workin on tank 4 since the rebuild. I ordered a new carb, just cant seem to get this one set right. Its a cheap amazon one but hopefully it fixes my problem. The throttle shaft is real loose on mine, wondering if that is part of my issue.
By the 4th tank your parts are well broken in. And not sure why you would ever run cheap oil, especially for break in.

Yes a loose throttle shaft is common and should be fixed. That will cause all kinds of problems. The cheap carbs are usually worse than a broken Mikuni. Another option is to use a small Mikuni aftermarket carb. I've seen guys use 28mm and 30mm VM style carbs. Waaaaay better than an Amazon unit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha