lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #121
reganr
Getting Wild

Star

Default Re: Tomberlin Tax Credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post

That funny!!!
reganr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #122
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by amasih View Post
So this is interesting.

I filed my return in mid-February after TurboTax made Form 8936 available. I bought an 08 E-4 in August, and claimed the stated 5477.38 refund amount.

But the IRS changed the amount on my return to $3362.38. Killed more than $2K of my credit!

So I called the IRS today, and spoke with a very nice lady. When I asked the lady why they did it, they said, "well, we have discretionary abilities to change amounts". While I wanted to reach across the phone and club her, I just asked her what I should do. She said file an appeal once I get the formal notice in the mail.

Has anyone else experienced this? There weren't supposed to be income limitations on this credit, right? I wonder if someone at the IRS just looked at the wrong table and changed my credit amount.

Thanks.
My credit was reduced to just about zero. Spent quite a while on hold with the IRS yesterday.
Come to find out my return was filed with a form 8910 instead of a 8936. The IRS did not know why.
When I was filling out my return Turbo Tax was not checking the box on line 53 and listing 8936 on the 1040. I called Turbo Tax and they said no problem just send it. I have no idea what it sent electronically but the paper copy I printed had the form 8936 with it.
I guess I will find out in time how to correct this. I have to wait till March 15 to file an amended return.
moss9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #123
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by natvtxn27 View Post
Nice roady....the Tomberlin guys have been quiet....

anyway. I bought my cart in August 08 as well. I filed for the $4234 and got every penny of it. No issues here.
If you used Turbo Tax can you check line 53 of your 1040 and see if it checked the box and listed 8936 as the form?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #124
natvtxn27
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss9994 View Post
If you used Turbo Tax can you check line 53 of your 1040 and see if it checked the box and listed 8936 as the form?
I didn't use TT, I used an accounting firm which I have used for many years. Don't think I can be much help. Hopefully it's as simple as sending in the correct form and clears this whole thing up.
natvtxn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #125
amasih
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss9994 View Post
My credit was reduced to just about zero. Spent quite a while on hold with the IRS yesterday.
Come to find out my return was filed with a form 8910 instead of a 8936. The IRS did not know why.
When I was filling out my return Turbo Tax was not checking the box on line 53 and listing 8936 on the 1040. I called Turbo Tax and they said no problem just send it. I have no idea what it sent electronically but the paper copy I printed had the form 8936 with it.
I guess I will find out in time how to correct this. I have to wait till March 15 to file an amended return.
I'm wondering...how did you find out that TT sent the wrong form? I'm in the same boat as you, where they ended up reducing my credit down from $5477.36 to $3326.65. I actually got a refund with cents, not whole dollars (NEVER had that happen). Since there's no way for us to verify what the IRS actually got, it would be interesting if somehow the e-file from TT wasn't correct.

I also have to wait until my notice gets delivered sometime after 3/15. I may be asking TT for a refund of my software price!
amasih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #126
amasih
Not Yet Wild

Apparently, this is a pervasive bug with TurboTax...

http://www.nevzone.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89&start=20
Old 03-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #127
moss9994
Not Yet Wild

Below is an email i received from Turbo tax about two weeks ago just before I sent it. The spooky part is I have one return in hand from Turbo Tax that has the 8936 in it. Best I can figure out a different return was sent to the IRS electronically with form 8910 instead of 8936.

"Thank you for contacting TurboTax Help and Support. You called requesting assistance regarding the following issue:

I was completing mu 1040 Line 53 / Box c using form 8936 at the bottom of

These are the actions we took to assist you in resolving your issue:
We resolved your issue by
I did Recreate your return, issue and i had the same issue however after reviewing with a lead person the issue is not affecting your calculations.
Thank you for using Turbo tax and thank you for your phone patience. If you have any trouble transmitting for e-file. Contact us again.

Marion"
Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #128
amasih
Not Yet Wild

Nevermind everyone. My issue was an AMT issue. Apparently, the AMT is unaffected by the 8936 tax credit, so they reduced my credit in order for me to pay the full AMT amount.

This really sucks. But, I guess it wasn't a TT form issue after all.

UPDATE: After reading the IRS guidance on their website, the ARRA was supposed to permit the 8936 credit to be used to offset AMT. I'm on the phone with an IRS Tax Attorney now to get them to figure this out... man, who knew this would be so complicated!

UPDATE 2: Talked to the IRS tax attorney, and she said they goofed! But here's the reason why she thinks they goofed. In 2008, any kind of alternative vehicle credit (hybrid, etc.) could NOT be applied to offset the AMT. But the ARRA for 2009 changed the ruling, allowing these credits to be used to offset AMT. So now, I have to have the account services team "write this up" and issue the remainder of my refund. The attorney said it might take as much as 30 days (yuck), but at least I might be getting my money after all. I'll keep everyone posted!

So beware, if you're teetering on the AMT threshold, depending on who is reviewing your return you could get screwed - temporarily.

Last edited by amasih; 03-05-2010 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: More Information
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #129
mrdills2
Not Yet Wild

Zone

I just got my 4200 on my tax credit for Uncle Sam, I had no problems getting it. I bought a 2010 last year.
mrdills2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #130
no1ezgodealer
Not Yet Wild

no1ezgodealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin