lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 99 club car not charging

need to know how to check if voltage reg
DEADEYE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 club car not charging

From the manual.......THE GENERATOR CIRCUIT (FIGURE 12-4)
The generator circuit consists of the starter/generator, voltage regulator, solenoid, the battery, and connecting
wires.
When battery power is first supplied to the starter/generator, the starter/generator turns the engine at low
RPM (approx. 700). Once the engine starts running, it then drives the starter/generator. At any engine RPM
over 1215 (3000 starter/generator RPM), the starter/generator functions as a generator, supplying charging
current to the battery. To prevent battery overcharging, the voltage regulator senses battery voltage, and by
opening and closing an electronic switch, it controls the amount of charge going to the battery.

Do you have a voltmeter? Connect to the battery and check voltage when the cart is off and running.....Then find the voltage regulator ( a simple on/off) switch and with your voltmeter check the voltage input and output. That will tell you if the generator and or regulator is working.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
From the manual.......THE GENERATOR CIRCUIT (FIGURE 12-4)
The generator circuit consists of the starter/generator, voltage regulator, solenoid, the battery, and connecting
wires.
When battery power is first supplied to the starter/generator, the starter/generator turns the engine at low
RPM (approx. 700). Once the engine starts running, it then drives the starter/generator. At any engine RPM
over 1215 (3000 starter/generator RPM), the starter/generator functions as a generator, supplying charging
current to the battery. To prevent battery overcharging, the voltage regulator senses battery voltage, and by
opening and closing an electronic switch, it controls the amount of charge going to the battery.

Do you have a voltmeter? Connect to the battery and check voltage when the cart is off and running.....Then find the voltage regulator ( a simple on/off) switch and with your voltmeter check the voltage input and output. That will tell you if the generator and or regulator is working.
ok charged battery checked volatge it is the same running or not i know it not charging. just wondering if reg was bad but reading your reply the gen would be charging if reg worked or not . is that correct? thanks deadeye
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

oh did not have this problem untill i lifted my cart
Old 10-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

THis is the testing procedure for the charging system .... but it is probalby something you did while working on the cart so look at the wires connected to the denerator and any ground straps to the engine????

This is good stuff from the manual right here

1. Place the neutral lock-out cam in the SERVICE position, put the forward and reverse lever in the NEUTRAL
position, and chock the wheels.
2. Check that wires are connected correctly and are tight. If they are not, rewire or tighten as necessary.
3. Disconnect the wires from all the terminals on the starter/generator. Then place the black (-) probe of a
multimeter, set to ohms (Ω), on the starter/generator housing (scratch through the paint to insure a
good ground). While holding the black probe against the housing, place the red (+) probe (one at a
time) on the A1, A2, F1, F2 and DF terminals respectively (Figure 12-25, Page 100). The readings
should be no continuity. If the readings are incorrect, the starter/generator will need to be removed
from the vehicle and disassembled by a qualified technician (See Removal of the Starter/Generator,
Page 107).
An incorrect reading from A1 or A2 terminal indicates three possible problems: 1) a grounded A1 or A2
terminal, 2) a grounded wire in the brush area, or 3) a grounded armature/commutator.
If the F1 or F2 reading is incorrect, it indicates a possible grounded F1 or F2 terminal or a grounded
field coil.
If the DF reading is incorrect, it indicates a possible grounded DF terminal or a grounded field coil.
4. Disconnect the ground wire from the A2 terminal and the green wire from the A1 terminal on the
starter/generator. Using a multimeter set to ohms (Ω), place the red (+) probe on the A1 terminal and
the black (-) probe on the A2 terminal. The reading should be continuity.
If the reading is incorrect, a possible open or poor contact in a brush assembly and/or open armature
windings maybe the cause. The starter/generator will need to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled
by a qualified technician (See Removal of the Starter/Generator, Page 107).
5. Disconnect the green wire from the F1 terminal and the white wire from the F2 terminal on the starter/
generator. Using a multimeter set on ohms (Ω), place the red (+) probe on the F1 terminal and the
black (-) probe on the F2 terminal. The reading should be continuity.
If the reading is incorrect, a possible open field coil or bad connections at terminals may be the cause.
The starter/generator will need to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled by a qualified technician
(See Removal of the Starter/Generator, Page 107).
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

thanks scotty i removed the gen.last night had it checked at alt shop an it is ok. going to put back on tonight an check the wires out . probably the voltage reg bad i will let you know what i find thanks again
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYE58 View Post
thanks scotty i removed the gen.last night had it checked at alt shop an it is ok. going to put back on tonight an check the wires out . probably the voltage reg bad i will let you know what i find thanks again
ok put back on checked wires still on charging .ordered part from sproncer site a little wile ago.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYE58 View Post
ok put back on checked wires still on charging .ordered part from sproncer site a little wile ago.
WHat part did you order? Voltage Regulator?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

yes voltage regulator. we will see if i get charge out of it
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
DEADEYE58
Gone Wild

Club Car

voltage regulator came in today .
I going to put it tonight let you know if i fixed the problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car