lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default Compression vs horsepower

It's time to act on all the input you guys gave me and make some improvements. I am going to buy a new driven clutch because mine is worn out.....I expect this to provide a significant increase. In case it doesn't, I am prepared to rebuild the top half of the motor; if I go this route I also plan to bore it 25mm over.

I have 105 PSI cold and I understand that if I rebuild I will get something like 120-125 PSI.

Does anyone know how compression and cylinder volume effect horsepower?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
EZ GO L4 Beach
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Compression vs horsepower

Should make more power. More room for a bigger explosion.
EZ GO L4 Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

Do you mean 25cc over?

What does it test out at when its hot?
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

In short, increasing the cylinder volume (by increasing the bore), will increase the combustion chamber volume. This in effect does 2 things. First, this increases the compression ratio and second, it increases overall engine displacement. In turn, this results in higher power output.

This becomes quite complex mathematically, but I suspect that the said change will be little, perhaps unnoticeable in this "small" motor in by itself.

Adding such things as cams, greater fuel/air mixture, timing, etc. would enhance the use of a larger combustion chamber and therefore enhance power.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

Is this a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Your sig shows what I believe is a 2 stroke.. you can bore those up to .50mm over with a factory style piston. Anything over that would be custom. You can also bump compression by shaving the jug and head. There are a lot of things you can do to bump the performance of your motor.
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Beings compression is 105 and you expect 125 I'm going to assume this is a two stroke that being said on my single cylinder 215 CC stock two stroke Yamaha I bored it over 1.0 mm or roughly 4 thousands over witch on a v8 would be noticeable but don't expect any performance gain on a single cylinder two stroke... It takes fuel to make power and after a rebuild with largest oversized piston you don't have to rejet the carb to keep it from leaning out so if it doesn't require more fuel you won't make more power
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

If you bored your cylinder to the max number -- the output horse would not be noticeable. What you would experience is the feel of a new engine. It wouldn't require rejetting the carburetor.
Here is the easiest example to explain -- in Nascar they all run the same size engine, 358 cibic inch small block GM I believe. It starts its life as a 350 and is bored to the max of .080. A bore job of .080 increases the displacement 1 inch per cylinder times 8 equals a 358 cubic inch engine. When you start with a cylinder of 43.75 cubic inches -- adding 1 cubic inch more doesn't really do much.
So boring out your small engine -- to the max is only going to be a fresh engine in output.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO