lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
drice561
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller for 2009 G29

I recently acquired a 2009 Yamaha G29 48v knowing it wasn’t running properly. I believe I have it narrowed down to the motor, which is the stock Hitachi. When the go pedal is depressed sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn’t until you give the cart a bump with you body weight while sitting in the seat. When moving, forward or reverse, it obviously isn’t full speed and stutters. Then on a very, very slight incline (gravel driveway) it slows to almost a crawl barely pulling (not much difference though from what it’s regularly doing right now.) If this isn’t a motor issue, I’m thinking controller, but I’m really clueless when it comes to electric carts.

I’ve done a good bit of searching and all the past 4 or so days and thanks to this forum have come across Carts Unlimited. If I have a motor issue I believe I will go with the FSIP 221-48VTORQUEEY torque motor. But I also think I’ve decided to go ahead and get an upgraded controller, 200amp solenoid w/diode and resistor and 4g cable kit.

My question is, should I go with the Navitas 440 amp with OTF programmer, or do I go with the Alltrax XCT-48400?
drice561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
biphase
Gone Wild

Default Re: Controller for 2009 G29

Before you spend any money on a motor or controller you need to test your batteries under load. The symptoms you describe all point to battery or solenoid issues.

First, connect a voltmeter to the B+ and B- terminals of you battery pack. Measure the voltage while the cart is standing still.

Next, measure the voltage while you attempt to drive the cart...that is while the cart is moving.

If you see a substantial drop in voltage, you probably have one or more bad batteries.

Make the measurements and report the results so we can determine what to do next.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
drice561
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
Before you spend any money on a motor or controller you need to test your batteries under load. The symptoms you describe all point to battery or solenoid issues.

First, connect a voltmeter to the B+ and B- terminals of you battery pack. Measure the voltage while the cart is standing still.

Next, measure the voltage while you attempt to drive the cart...that is while the cart is moving.

If you see a substantial drop in voltage, you probably have one or more bad batteries.

Make the measurements and report the results so we can determine what to do next.
Fresh off the charger I got 53.4 pack, 13.5 average each battery. Then bounced between 40-42 driving. Only went about 200 yards total and then it was 49 pack, 12.5 each after
Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
drice561
Not Yet Wild

Oh and one of the batteries measured around 11 afterward
Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
biphase
Gone Wild

You never should have seen numbers as low as 40 to 42.

Next step: Repeat the driving test while measuring each battery individually.
Start with the one that read 11 volts.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
drice561
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
You never should have seen numbers as low as 40 to 42.

Next step: Repeat the driving test while measuring each battery individually.
Start with the one that read 11 volts.
Finally got some help over to test the batteries. Here’s what I got while driving:

Newest battery, farthest from driver side and has the positive end going to the controller - 12.6v
Next left - 11.2v
Next left, that tested 11 afterwards the first time - 9.5v
Farthest to driver side, has negative going to the controller - 9.0v

I’d say it definitely looks like a battery issue. And I got it to drive normal to check my deer camera behind the house just now..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha