lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Twilly24
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 throttle cable

Hey guys, I got a 2004 Ezgo and the throttle cable wont let the carburetor shut completely. At first I thought the spring in the carburetor was weak and would not pull it shut but I tried a new carburetor and the same problem. Adjusted the throttle cable in the back on the governor arm and no help. Is the accelerator cable to lose or tight?
Should I try replacing the throttle cable?

Thanks for the help.
Twilly24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 throttle cable

Check close in the area I put a red mark. See if the washer is bad. They are made of plastic . I will have to look close on mine but I know I had issues the same as you and it was broke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washer.jpg (118.7 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Twilly24
Not Yet Wild

Are you talking about on the accelerator cable? I put a spring on the governor arm to help close the throttle cable when letting off the gas pedal. The butterfly valve on the carburetor is closed now. I'm still getting back fire. It backfires after full throttle and you let off the gas completely. Engine is running great. Lots of power. Just the annoying backfire. I did notice the governor spring is completely compressed. I noticed most picture of that spring are no where near as compressed as this one.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

what about the throttle plate stop screw is that adjusted all the way out
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilly24 View Post
Are you talking about on the accelerator cable? I put a spring on the governor arm to help close the throttle cable when letting off the gas pedal. The butterfly valve on the carburetor is closed now. I'm still getting back fire. It backfires after full throttle and you let off the gas completely. Engine is running great. Lots of power. Just the annoying backfire. I did notice the governor spring is completely compressed. I noticed most picture of that spring are no where near as compressed as this one.
2 and 1/2 inches from outside of washer to washer is what mine is set at. Mine has never been tampered with. The red arrow is plastic thing I was talking about. These cables also get crimped together sometimes. Where I put the green arrow the cable should snap back when you pull it with your hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (238.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
Twilly24
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. I think I have the backfire issue fixed for now. I've set lots of valves and never had this much trouble with them. I'm wondering if they will need replaced soon. Thanks again
Old 08-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

What did you do to fix the accelerator cable? ? Helps when others read this.

Take a close up picture of the valve springs after you remove the valve cover and we can tell you if intake valves are next
Old 08-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Twilly24
Not Yet Wild

I will post pictures when I can. Has anyone tried a heavier spring on the valves. It's my friends cart. He wants to run it at high rpm's. The valves are floating.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The rev limiter will cut the engine off around 3800 rpms so there is no use in installing heavy valve springs. These are not racing engines. I have a few engine blocks in my shop that people tried to race but they all got holes in them
Old 08-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
The rev limiter will cut the engine off around 3800 rpms so there is no use in installing heavy valve springs. These are not racing engines. I have a few engine blocks in my shop that people tried to race but they all got holes in them

I'd bet the problem is that they're probably slap worn out, and shaped more like a pizza cutter and not floating
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO