lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default 88 EZ-GO HEI weak spark

I've tried three can coils and all gave me the same results. Faint blue spark. It'll run OK but it's not right. Sometimes won't start, sometimes pop and backfire for a while before starting. I did the HEI conversion a while ago. Can a failing HEI be responsible for a weak spark? I ohmed two of the three coils I tried and they seem to be fine. I went over my connections and didn't find anything heinous but I cleaned them up anyways. I have the HEI module attached to a chunk of aluminum for a heatsink with the dielectric grease. I was thinking to go pick up a new HEI tomorrow since they're cheap. I installed a new sparkplug as well. The popping and backfiring on starting says ignition problems to me as well. Once it's running it sounds alright but doesn't have the top end speed like it used to. Yea sorry...Can a bad/failing HEI module give you weak spark?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
NYOZ
Getting Wild

Default Re: 88 EZ-GO HEI weak spark

Have you tried reversing the red and blue wires from the pulsar?
NYOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Nope. Will this do something interesting? It's been set up this way for years and the weak spark is a new thing.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #4
NYOZ
Getting Wild

If it's been that way, then i think not. I recently did one on a cart and had the same issue. After some research on here , I reversed the wires and it ran great..
NYOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I just got done putting on the new HEI module. Wired it the same as before, even less spark but still there. I reversed the wires for the heck of it and got better but still weak spark. I ran it for about 30 seconds and it would barely move out of it's own way and farting and popping. I swapped the blue and red wires back to the original position and it seems to be OK now. I never checked the spark, it just seems to be running a lot better. I'll know more in a bit when I let it cool down some and try to re-start. HEI wanted polarized or some such??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO