lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #11
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1983 Marathon Gas - Clutch Issue

Had a chance to 'play' with the Cart today! I'm having clearance 'issues' removing the clutch. Tried raising the cart, that's not the answer. Hope I don't need to remove the Axle for clearance, are there some tricks involved?

Thanks, Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I haven't worked on an 83 yet, but I do have one coming in next. I'd like to tell you it should slip off without removing anything but I can't for sure, have you tried removing the outer cover first? That should give you more clearance.....

I know the 83s are an oddball year with changes in the exhaust and whatever else?? I'll know more when it gets here
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #13
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Update!
I removed the lower shock bolts and that allowed the axle to drop below the clutch!

Removed Clutch Cover and to my inexperienced view, there is nothing obviously 'bent,broken or misaligned'. Well, darn.... Now what?

Bruce
Old 11-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #14
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

If I can't find a broken and or defective 'looking' part, should I lube the wear points and reassemble for another test?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 11-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #15
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Update!

An up close and 'dusty' inspection, followed by a nice air pressure dusting and then a couple of drops of very light oil on the pivots and rollers. Reassembled and am at the point of tightening the Center attaching bolt.

I would really like to Torque it to the proper spec, anyone know what that might be?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 11-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Page K-2 of the manual. 55-60 foot pounds with loctite.

I would have used a graphite based lube instead of oil.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Sir Cart Around, thank you for that information.

I'm 'big' on proper torque, coming from classic car engine restoration experience.

Would that be a 'dry' Graphite? At least my light spray will allow me to diagnose if I've cured the problem. And that cover is super easy to remove, now that I've found the method so I can clean it again and properly lube, providing that I've 'cured' it's ailment!

I'm still mulling over why the new 'motor mounts' that I installed on the swing arm near the shocks self destructed within about 4 hours of usage! Any thoughts on this malady?

Once again, thank you!
Bruce
Old 12-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yes. Something like this. https://autoplicity.com/8534848-dri-...8aAn5MEALw_wcB

Or Molylube.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #19
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Great looking product, I can see multiple uses for that on my classic cars and trucks as well. Got it coming.

The Bad: I cleaned the clutch, inspected each weight, roller and pivot and compared one with the other. No 'obvious' signs of uneven wear, or damage. The assembly slides on the shaft freely without binding. Lubed the pivots, reassembled and there is no change whatsoever from before I started. Suggestions?

T's, Bruce!
Old 12-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #20
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You say it's revving up, so I'm going to assume that the engine really is running. You would be surprised how many aren't. If everything is free, that clutch should be moving in and out. I'm not sure why it isn't. I don't have any experience digging into mine. My problem was all driven clutch.

I found a couple of videos that weren't much help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTSYqGbgHk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgu0LuQBOf8

Is there any chance that you could post a you tube video so we can see what is happening?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO