lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2023, 12:19 AM   #61
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: upgrade to Lithium, how many AMPS do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I have a 2018 Club Car Precedent 48V. I want to upgrade to Lithium. should i get 60amp, 100amp, what?

My usage is for golf from 5-8 hours in a day, nothing crazy. I've got the stock controller that is programmed for max speed (level 4 or 5). I don't want to buy overkill power, just for a stock golf cart.

Also, any recommendations on what brand I should buy?

thanks
I posted something that may help you with your question here:

Why a 105AH Lithium >= 170AH Lead Acid explained
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2023, 07:26 AM   #62
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I posted something that may help you with your question here:

Why a 105AH Lithium >= 170AH Lead Acid explained
a 170ah la pack is more comparable to a 60-80ah lithium pack from what ive seen.

I've gone from good working/ load tested 75ah agm batteries to 64ah lithium and the lithium actually lasts more than 3 times longer between charges

the real concern isnt so much the ah rating of the batteries as is the amount of amps they can safely and reliably output without bms shutdowns or dramatically shortening the otherwise long lifespan of the lithium cells inside.

That said most 64ah batteries are rated for only 64amps of output which is not enough for most carts. In truth ive yet to find a 105ah lifepo4 cell that are rated for more than 105amps of continuous output but they must make them since so many battery pack assembly companies are selling them with much higher ratings? Or are many of these companies prorating the life of the cells at the loads beyond manufacturers recommendations, knowing they will make it past the warranty periods?
There likely is a particular 105ah cell out there with a 1.5 or 2c rating as there are many other higher output lifepo cells its just strange ive not come across any.

Anyway its due to the rated amp out that most go with 105ah packs over a single smaller sized pack but if the output is rated high enough to cover the needs of the gold cart its going into a 64ah or 72ah pack will work great and some popular choices are 1.5 times the output (1.5c) or more.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:57 PM   #63
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
a 170ah la pack is more comparable to a 60-80ah lithium pack from what ive seen.

I've gone from good working/ load tested 75ah agm batteries to 64ah lithium and the lithium actually lasts more than 3 times longer between charges

the real concern isnt so much the ah rating of the batteries as is the amount of amps they can safely and reliably output without bms shutdowns or dramatically shortening the otherwise long lifespan of the lithium cells inside.

That said most 64ah batteries are rated for only 64amps of output which is not enough for most carts. In truth ive yet to find a 105ah lifepo4 cell that are rated for more than 105amps of continuous output but they must make them since so many battery pack assembly companies are selling them with much higher ratings? Or are many of these companies prorating the life of the cells at the loads beyond manufacturers recommendations, knowing they will make it past the warranty periods?
There likely is a particular 105ah cell out there with a 1.5 or 2c rating as there are many other higher output lifepo cells its just strange ive not come across any.

Anyway its due to the rated amp out that most go with 105ah packs over a single smaller sized pack but if the output is rated high enough to cover the needs of the gold cart its going into a 64ah or 72ah pack will work great and some popular choices are 1.5 times the output (1.5c) or more.
Note, the specs on the battery are the manufacturers promise, NOT mine, LOL. Have not tested it at those levels. Glad to know it can give me 1200 amps for a full 2 Milliseconds (or that maybe microseconds, not sure it matters, LOL)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg precision lithium.jpg (279.0 KB, 0 views)
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:23 PM   #64
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is one of those batteries that may, just may, be exaggerating the specs.

3c continuous

I will bet they’re just standard 1c cells with a 300A/600A BMS.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:42 PM   #65
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

so these are the only 105ah cells ive found to be advertised as 3c continuous but further investigation shows they are just rebranded eve 1c rated 105ah cells....
https://b2bmap.com/products/32v-105a...e-battery-cell
they didnt even bother to rename the model number which clearly notes what they are and the maker (eve)
Same as these...

https://www.evlithium.com/LiFePO4-Battery/826.html

The fraudulent claims by many of these wholesalers are crazy... They claim 3c discharge rates and they dont even bother to remove the 1c discharge rating from the specs in the same description...
If there are legit 3c continuous 105ah cells out there I havenet found them... doesnt mean they dont exist. perhaps they dont sell to general public, or they have a non advertised secondary rating of 3c at a shorter lifespan (which is my guess).

That precision battery seems to be a chinese battery marketed by continental battery. I can find very little on them but their lithium car and motorcycle batteries appear to be the same as many generic chinese batteries only with the case being made of red plastic vs another color.

They are supported by continental battery which is a real credible company. it would be interesting to actually see teardowns of some of these batteries.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car