lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2023, 09:40 AM   #1
turtlexiv
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear axle oil seal for 2005

I have a 2005 JH2044 that I'm trying to replace a rear axle oil seal on. (This seems to be one of the early TXT clones by Fairplay/Star; I'm not entirely clear on the timeline/lineage.) I've been using the Star Classic parts manual as a guide which, while for 2008+, seems to align with what's on the cart. The rear axle oil seal is currently tripping me up, however.

The original oil seal is markedly different than the 2OL040 seal (a 42x55x7), although seems to have the same overall dimensions. The 2OL040 correctly fits over the 2OL030 outer shield ring as expected, however I can't discern any way to actually get it into the axle housing past the inner metal ring that the bearing sits next to (see attached photo; for reference purposes the non-damaged side is also attached). As best as I can discern this inner ring is part of the housing; I've tried prying on it but it hasn't budged. The original oil seal seems to be a two piece deal: one piece that wraps over the metal lip and actually acts as the seal, and a second piece further in (with the cutouts) that presumably acts as some kind of retainer (it doesn't contact the axle anywhere).

I've considered dropping the axle housing from the diff and pushing it in from the far end, but I'm not certain it would fit from that end either. The overall axle housing seems a bit smaller in dimension that the outer area where the oil seal should sit.

Any insights as to correct part choice and/or installation procedure would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart-axle.jpg (196.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart-original.jpg (209.9 KB, 0 views)
turtlexiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2023, 06:13 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Rear axle oil seal for 2005

That's the outer housing of the seal and it needs to be pried out either with a seal puller, screwdriver, pry bar, etc.
Those are not two piece seals, The rubber is bonded to the steel housing, and when the seal fails it's often because the rubber has deteriorated and ripped away from the steel housing.
The axle bearing needs to be checked. If the bearing is bad it will allow the axle to wobble around and will rip the rubber seal ring off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
turtlexiv
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rear axle oil seal for 2005

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, the bearing had disintegrated and chewed up the original seal. It was a pile of metal bits in there (from the 'chain' that connects the individual ball bearings) when I first opened it up. I was able to cut off the old bearing + collar and press on new parts.

I finally figured out yesterday that the original bushing was metal-cased. I was able to beat it out with a big screwdriver and hammer.

Just trying to get the brakes adjusted now. The pads looked mostly okay; I thought they would have improved after adjusting and cleaning out the leaked gear oil coating the one side, but I may still need to swap them out. There's currently not even enough braking force to stop while rolling down my driveway which has a bit of incline. Unfortunately it's rather a PITA with the hubs being integral to the axles.
turtlexiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay