lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
pfslong
Not Yet Wild

Default 1980 club car won't go

I have a 1980 club car that won't move in forward or reverse. Have replaced all the micro-switches and the first solenoid and replaced all battery cables. I have also tested all other wires for continuity and replaced those that were broken. As I push on the accelerator pedal I can hear four clicks in the solenoids don't know if the first two, because they are jumpered together, come on at the same time or should I hear five clicks? If the second or "first speed" solenoid is bad will it keep the rest of them from working or should the cart just skip first and "burst" into "second speed" I have voltage at all points and at all solenoids but don't really know if I'm testing them correctly. Thanks for any help.
pfslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1980 club car won't go

The First one (closest to the driver's side) is the master if it doesn't click first.... you are not gonna go
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
pfslong
Not Yet Wild

First one is the one I replaced with a new one and it does appear to click first but I can't tell which one is not clicking because I only get four clicks not five.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Use a voltmeter and test the voltage on the "in" and "out" of the first solenoid as ScottyB said was the main solenoid, this is the one that feeds the power to the rest of the solenoids. If theres no power going in, then there wont be any to go out. If there is voltage going in, then hopefully you will see voltage on the"out" side when you press accelertator...Id say start testing there. Actually....have you tested your battery pack voltage for the heck of it??? on and off the gas battery pack voltage readings??? make sure they dont drop out from a really poor connection somewhere
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
pfslong
Not Yet Wild

I have had all battery's load tested today at a local dealer. How do I check the in and out on the solenoid? Do I check the two small posts or the two large ones? Which is positive and negative? and again should there be four or five clicks? and will the other solenoids even click if the first one doesn't?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

With the rear on jack stands and the seat off ..... you can hear the 5 clicks... if you can't hear them put a hand on the solenoid in question, you can feel the contactor slam into the other side
A solenoid is a switch the 2 small terminals are the activation circuit one will be pos and one will be neg when the activation circuit is complete ..... at this point the switch is closed which completes the circuit on the large terminals.....
Old 06-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
pfslong
Not Yet Wild

I am still unsure of one thing. If the second or "first speed" solenoid is bad will that keep the cart from moving or will the other speeds work after their respective solenoids kick in?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, the system can skip over a bad solenooid .... if say the 1st speed solenoid is bad you will have a void in the peddle travel and the cart will lurch to a start in 2nd gear (so to speak) ..... where are you at? what do you got? what do you know so far?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Just to clarify what scottyb ,
is saying is the first solinoid is the Master which puts the Pack Voltage (36 Volts) out there to be used by the other Solinoids.
The second solinoid is really first gear, then #3 is second ...etc.
If the first Solinoid never closes the all the others can close when the Micro associated with that Solinoid is engaged.
But without the Pack Voltage from Solinoid #1 they are just opening and closing from the small controll Voltage from the Micro switches (in the small leads) but have no Power 36Volts to pass on across the Big leads ?

Clear as mud or am I rambling again
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
pfslong
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all you help. It appears the "new" solenoid I installed was not functioning. I think I smoked it when I installed it by over tightening the nut and twisting the post on the inside. It's running well now and my wife thanks you all for your help she is camping and cruising as we speak.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car