lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Loki0876
Not Yet Wild

Default A little help with Solenoid swap

Info; 1997 TXT, Series "manual F/R switch", no tow switch. I searched the forum and couldn't find what i was looking for so i hope someone could help.

It all started when i was driving and then when I would stop, i would try to go again pressing the pedal and then nothing dead. Then few min later i would step on the pedal and it would go again? Very frustrating. Then one day it just stopped and wouldn't move again. I figured it was the solenoid since sometimes it would click then other times it wouldn't. I checked for all loose connections and couldn't find any. I ordered a new upgraded Curtis sw180. This solenoid is a tad different to wire from the old 4 post but I watched some vids and got it wired correctly ( i assume). The diode (stripe up) wired up between the two spades on the left side and with pos on the top spade, the opposite spade would be pos also which has two small red wires going to that spade. Same with the neg spade i have two black wires from the opposite side connected. The resistor is across the power connectors. I really think i have everything correct from everything i have seen in the video but........

So the issue NOW is when i turn the key on, it activates the solenoid and not when the pedal is pressed. I am getting voltage across the solenoid. I didn't change anything so why is the key activating it now??? I'm at a loss, any in-site would be greatly appreciated. I can upload pictures later today if needed. I just need to know what i'm looking for and also if the original reason for the cart to intermittently stop running was a controller issue or a solenoid issue? I figure i would start with the solenoid since it was the cheaper replacement part.

Thanks so much

Kevin
Loki0876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: A little help with Solenoid swap

There is a microswitch under you floor board in the pedal box that activates the solenoid when pedal is pressed...If this microswitch is broken it can cause solenoid to activate with key switch instead of pedal switch...I would start by checking that microswitch...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Loki0876
Not Yet Wild

Just disconnecting the the pedal should be good enough to check the micro switch and see if the solenoid engages with the key switch on? I know that the pedal ohms out when depressed.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That is correct if pedal switch is disconnected all together you should get nothing when key switch is activated...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Loki0876
Not Yet Wild

So i finally got around to checking the foot pedal. Correct i do not have solenoid activation when the foot pedal is unplugged. i went a bit deeper and wanted to test the foot pedal and this is what i came up with.

So when i connect the small black wire from wiring harness to B- it and key is on it activates the solenoid. So i have been keeping this disconnected and only connecting it when troubleshooting.

Pedal assembly:

Red 36.5v
Green 36.5v

Black 14v but when pedal is pressed voltage jumps all over the place. Goes pretty low like 7v but only when the small black wire is connected to B-

White 0.5v , when pedal is pressed it goes to 1.6v. When i reconnect the small black wire back to B- it reads 0v

I do have to say when i was testing, at one point while depressing the pedal the cart lurched forward but only once.

I really don't want to buy a pedal assembly if i'm not 100% sure it is actually that. They are a bit pricey. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO