lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1999 Gas EZGO High Speed Gear install 8:1

Ok, I haven't seen anything that really goes through what you will encounter while installing high speed gears in a pre-MCI era gas EZGO. Figured I would post a thread on the install. If I miss something, or if you see something I am off base on, please share for me, and for future builders doing high speed gears.

First, purchased 8:1 gears, plan is to run a stock Predator 670 with a lift and 25 or 26" tires, relatively low RPM, and lots of torque, so the gears should help get some speed out of the cart. Currently, installed the gears and the motor in an unlifted TXT. I know, you can't install the 670 in an unlifted cart. Can't Shmant...I'm doing it. Not gonna have clearance for the seat, and the shift lever needs to move, but its possible for a temporary condition while I am waiting on the lift to show up.
20200829_082123.jpg

First, get the driven clutch off. Take the center bolt and washer out, then slide the clutch off. It is on a spline shaft. Mine was stuck...I used a 2x4 and a BFH (2 lb Hammer) up against the hub of the driven clutch and tapped it....well, hit it pretty good and off it came. Stay on the heavy part of the hub of the clutch...don't want to break it.
Attachment 208203

Get the cart up in the air on jacks so you can get under it.

First, drain the diff oil...there is a drain bolt on the bottom, should be pretty easy to find. Next, get the motor mount off. Unbolt the two u-bolts from the axle, and take out the bolt at the front of the transaxle bracket and it should drop out.
20200829_082144.jpg

Next, remove the brake cables from each side. The manual describes it pretty good, just push the "E" clips off the cable ends, pull the spring back, and slide the cable through the slot in the cable bracket. Super simple.
20200829_092701.jpg

Disconnect the bottom shock nuts from the shock posts, remove the bolts at the ends of the leaf springs, and take the nut off the gear change input shaft. Transaxle should come out at this point. Take off the passenger side tire, and stand the axle up on the end of the driver side wheel and tire.
20200829_095503.jpg

Remove the brake drum....again, mine was stuck. Used a 3 arm gear puller, came off very easy.
20200829_100538.jpg

Unbolt the brake back plate from the axle tube and set it aside.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Gas EZGO High Speed Gear install 1:8

Next, clean up the end of the axle, and remove the large ring clip from the axle end.
20200829_102708.jpg
Pull the axle out. Mine was tight...just put the castle nut on the end and light upward taps with a rubber mallet and it came out.
20200829_105156.jpg

Take the axle housing off...five bolts, and it it is loose.

Mark the location of the two long bolts at the front of the transaxle...they need to go back in their correct locations.
20200829_111235.jpg
The rest of the transaxle case bolts are the same length, go ahead and take them out. To get the case to separate, use a rubber mallet on the bottom of the governor shaft. To get it to come up straight, I bolted a box end wrench into the opposite end of the case using an axle housing bolt in one of the holes, simply lift up on the wrench while tapping the case with the rubber mallet and it comes apart.
20200829_112948.jpg
Set the top half of the case aside.
Now you have the gears exposed. Be careful not to let any debris into the differential as you aren't pulling everything apart like the manual says, so you won't be able to clean stuff if anything gets in there.
20200829_113116.jpg
Old 09-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, now just remove the four bolts from the main gear. Impact helps as everything wants to turn. Put the gear with bearing into a freezer.
20200829_114200.jpg
I needed to use the three jaw puller to slide the bearing off the shaft with the small gear...it comes off with little pressure, but wouldn't come off without help.
20200829_114551.jpg
Install the large gear, line up the hole in the gear with the hole in the hub below...you will need this to put a rod/screw driver into in order to torque the bolts.
20200829_130708.jpg
20200829_114655.jpg
20200829_114705.jpg
Old 09-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here are the torque specs for the differential. If you have the Fuji Differential manual, they are in there under reassembly.
torque specs Fuji diff.PNG
Pull the original big gear from the freezer, grab a propane torch, and lightly heat up the bearing, then take a couple large box end wrenches, and slide the bearing off. I couldn't get my gear puller under the bearing, and the wrenches could just sneak in under the bearing. As long as you take advantage of thermal expansion, it comes off pretty easy.
20200829_125251.jpg
If you have a press, you might be better off pressing the bearing on the new big gear prior to bolting it in the differential, but I use the back woods method of setting it up level on the shaft, using a socket that is larger than the bearing...flat side down, drop another socket inside the open end of the original socket, flat side up, and use a hammer to tap the bearing down on the shaft. Works for both bearings.

While I was in the differential, I removed the internals of the governor. Three screws, and the weight basket comes off.
20200830_180724.jpg
I also took the shaft and governor fork out of the top half of the case, then used a 7/16 tap and threaded the governor shaft bore, and installed a bolt to seal it up.
20200830_180737.jpg
You can use Permatex or Loctite thread sealer. Below is a photo of all the governor parts I removed.
20200830_180809.jpg
Old 09-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

At this point, is simply reassembly. Make sure both case mating surfaces are clean and smooth, put gasket maker on one of the mating surfaces,, and slide the top half of the case back on, make sure you get the two long bolts back where they belong, and bolt the case together. Install the Axle tube and five bolts, drop the axle back in, and re-install the c-clip.

Install brake back plate, and then drum, and re-install the axle back under the cart, hook up the brakes, and either re-install the factory motor mount, or whatever motor mount you are using moving forward.

Good luck....Hope it helps.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Well done thread and great addition to the site.. should be a sticky.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So, with stock tires, 8:1 gears, and a predator 670 at 3600 RPM, it runs 23. Its a new motor, so not gonna try and blow it up...need to break it in. Runs pretty good...belt is a little tight so it shifts tough, but new, so need to break it in too. By the time the lift, brakes, wheels and tires get here, and the body gets done, should be broken in, and we will see what it will do. Super strong up hill still...pretty snappy from a start too...almost thinking I should have gone 6:1. We will see when the big tires get installed.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Gas EZGO High Speed Gear install 8:1

As an update, the gasket maker I used didn't work very well. The differential leaks. I'm going to purchase the differential case gasket and install it, hopefully cure the leak. If anyone knows of a quality gasket maker product that works well in this scenario, or if I need to put a sealer on the new gasket, please share, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure the neighbors are not happy with "Dawg" peeing on their driveway.

Also an update...Max speed recorded so far is 26 mph with stock tire size and no lift. I was running around 4,000 rpm I think. Engine is begging to go more...I feel like its at half throttle, so not letting anyone else drive the thing yet. It gets to full speed so quickly that it would be easy to not pay attention and push it up in the 5,000 rpm range or more in a matter of seconds. I am definitely thinking that the governor will be going back on the engine...
Old 10-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, Gasket maker does not appear to have been the problem...apparently just a simple rookie mistake. When I pull things apart, I like to put bolts back where they came from to ensure they go back together as they came apart. After draining the diff fluid, I put the drain plug back in, and didn't torque it down....just a loose drain plug it would seem. Glad I don't have to lull it all apart again
Old 10-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
tprosuper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What was your original stock gear ration in your 97?
tprosuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO