lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Gas EZGO High Speed Gear install 8:1

It is a 1999, and I am not positive, but understand it was around 13 or 14:1. Someone figured it out on here on another thread, but I'm sure its a old thread....you would have to do some searching to find it.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

According to this old thread, it is 13.32:1

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=2889
Old 10-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

An as an update to the thread, I put 23" tires on without a lift, and while the rub everywhere with the smallest turn and bump, on a flat straight, it will do 30 MPH GPS at 4,000 RPM. Working on a make shift lift while I wait on my new long travel. It still has a ton of torque. While I plan on putting some 26 or 27 inch tires on..I may need that torque to turn em. If you plan on going with 22 or 23 inch tires, don't plan on towing a ton, and want more speed, 6:1 is the way to go.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Very nice write up! Thank you.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
Vanwoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I am new here and just learning but seems like great info. I have a 2010 gas EZGo installed the 6:1 high speed gears and still get similar speed as before. Seems lower engine RPM but do not have a tach on it. Do I need to go back in and completely remove the governor parts or is there an external way to get the speed up?
Vanwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #16
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wish I could help you, but the 2010 is a new animal compared to what I was working with. I haven't looked at how the governor is set up on the newer machines, but older ones, the higher the speed observed at the rear end, the more the governor would push against the throttle to turn it down. I would guess yours is similar, but would be a guess. Also, are you running the stock motor, or a big block swap? Mine was a big block and had all the torque needed to push the higher gear. I could go to 6:1 easy and get a lot more top speed, but it would sacrifice my ability to do anything at low speed. I have 26" tires on now, and have run it at GPS 40 MPH. 15 MPH over the speed limit in my neighborhood...good thing I am the HOA president.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #17
Vanwoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ha Ha it is good to be the president. I have 18” tires and am at about 25 mph with the stock gears 11.5-1 i think. I bought the 6-1 and installed but left the governor in place and am still at about 25 mph, so your thought is probably true that the governor is tied to ground speed not engine speed. Also looked last night and for every tire rotation I get 8 of the driven clutch, so am assuming that I actually received and installed the 8-1 gears instead of the 6-1 I ordered. This is a 401 cc Kawasaki engine and seems to have plenty of power everywhere just runs out of speed. Thinking I will get a tach so I can make sure I keep an eye on it.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 PM   #18
Vanwoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update. I confirmed that the gears I ordered are the 6:1. I also got a tach to be safe. I removed the plastic gear that drives the governor in the transaxle. With 18 inch tires runs 30 - 32 on flat gravel road at about 3200 rpm. I had the g-boost clutch kit installed but took it out as seemed a bit harsh taking off for what I want it to do (actually golfing). I would suppose at this point I am out of horsepower as I am not getting to 4000 rpm (maybe a good thing). On a slight downhill I can got it to about 36 - 38 and about 3800 rpm. Anybody have any thoughts about 20 inch tires going any faster or am I just out of horsepower?
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Larger tires will normally get you some more top end with the cost of lower torque, and poor hill performance, but that is usually when the governor is limiting speed. In your case, there is no governor and speed is limited by available power. Its possible larger tires will actually reduce the top speed on the cart as all you are doing is going to a higher gear ratio at the tires...lower RPM, and lugging the motor. Not sure how fast you want to go, but mid 30's is flyin on a golf cart, particularly one that sees golf course duty.

EDIT: See this prior post:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=41028

Based on the info here...and the manual link, 4,000 RPM is the limit, no rev limiter like the older Robbin motors, and if you aren't getting to 4,000, you are out of HP. Bigger tires might get you more speed going down hill and possibly on a flat, maybe not though, but it will be a lot harder on the engine going up hill.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #20
Vanwoody
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I agree with you, I am basically done unless I go with a big block which I don't want to do. I believe you are correct that I am horsepower limited and 30 mph is good for actually golfing. I still does perform fairly good at very low speed like when you might be searching for a golf ball (mine are always in the woods), so the clutch kit made it a bit jerky.

By the way with the tires up in the air I can watch the clutches and by 2500 rpm or so they are fully shifted. I know everyone says beyond 4000 rpm you will throw a rod, but I can tell you that is not true at all. Not that I am going to do it but 4500 all day is not a stretch and motor sounds solid. I think most people forget this engine (and most other engines like it) are 100% duty rated at 3600 rpm full throttle basically forever. So the occasional excursion to 4500 rpm is well within the capabilities of an engine like this. This is a more modern engine used in all kinds of applications. Made by a company that makes 300 HP out of 1000 cc. (probably start a firestorm with those statements, but not my intention)

Thanks for all the help this is a great site with great people.

T
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO