lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Green5743
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 Issue

I have a Yamaha Gas G1 that I believe has a solenoid issue however wanted to get some input. Was running great however heard a loud pop while driving and then when I went to continue just clicking and some smoke from the solenoid. It has 2 solenoids i assume for forward and reverse however cart wont do anything besides click when i turn key and hit the pedal. Thanks for your help in advance.
Green5743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Green5743
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Issue

Any Help?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Do the solenoids click with each direction of the key switch. Charge and load the battery. The large cables from the solenoids to the starter/gen and to the battery is a common problem. They corrode causing voltage drops. Inspect clean or replace these areas
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'd bet there was a fuse blown in the process.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I'd bet there was a fuse blown in the process.
I am not sure how these carts are fused but would he still be getting solenoid clicks with a blown fuse? Not trying to be a wise guy, I really don't know.

If your solenoids are clicking but the engine is not turning over then I think your issue is downstream from that point (from the solenoids to starter). There is a sticky for that located here:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=24060

Really, you have to see if your are getting 12v to the starter. That posts tells you how to do that. If you have 12v at your starter then it is probably bad. If not then wiring / battery is suspect.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I am not sure how these carts are fused but would he still be getting solenoid clicks with a blown fuse? Not trying to be a wise guy, I really don't know.
Only one way to find out right? Check the fuses. You might be right. Wise guy
Old 01-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
Green5743
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The solenoids click in both directions. I have charged the battery and battery is holding charge I will inspect wires and also fuses. With solenoids clicking in reverse or forward would you suspect the starter rather than both solenoids going at the same time?
Old 01-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You have to get a voltmeter on the starter gen posts to see if you have voltage going through the solenoids. If the solenoids click, you must have power going to them.

Also, you need to have your battery load tested. Just having 12.4/12.5 volts and holding doesn't tell the whole story. When you load test the battery, voltage will drop. If it drops too low, it won't have the amps needed to spin the starter gen. Your local auto parts store can load test the battery for free, just remove it, charge it up, and take it down, they will hook up a machine to it. Or, you can load test it yourself, look on YouTube for examples.

Once you know your battery is good to go, do this:

1. Using your voltmeter set to VDC, check both terminals on the solenoids for 12.5vdc. Red lead goes on the solenoid terminal, black lead goes on the negative terminal of the battery. If you have 12.5vdc there, then proceed to the next step. If you don't, you have to trace your wiring back to the battery, but if you are hearing a click, that indicates voltage received from the battery/starter pedal switch.

2. Follow each cable down to the the starter gen and check voltage there. Make sure you remove your starter gen belt, that way it will spin freely. Again, red lead goes on terminal, black lead on negative terminal. If you have 12vdc there, and your starter/gen doesn't spin, you have a bad starter that needs rebuild or new brushes. If you don't have any voltage there, then somewhere in between the solenoids and the starter there is an issue with wiring.

Wiring issues are easy to diagnose. You start where you know you have good voltage and just trace each wire to find the problem. Fixing the problem is another story lol
Old 01-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

As well, both solenoids activating at the same time would be difficult as they have pretty much separate circuits. That sill is easy to check with a VM, though. With your key on and accelerator depressed, check for volts going across the large terminals on each solenoid. If you have voltage on both solenoids at the same time then you have a serious wiring or switch issue. I would imagine that your starter would get very warm / hot as well being that it wouldn't be able to turn to dissipate the energy coming at it from both directions.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
As well, both solenoids activating at the same time would be difficult as they have pretty much separate circuits. That sill is easy to check with a VM, though. With your key on and accelerator depressed, check for volts going across the large terminals on each solenoid. If you have voltage on both solenoids at the same time then you have a serious wiring or switch issue. I would imagine that your starter would get very warm / hot as well being that it wouldn't be able to turn to dissipate the energy coming at it from both directions.
well said sir
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha