lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
You have to get a voltmeter on the starter gen posts to see if you have voltage going through the solenoids. If the solenoids click, you must have power going to them.

Also, you need to have your battery load tested. Just having 12.4/12.5 volts and holding doesn't tell the whole story. When you load test the battery, voltage will drop. If it drops too low, it won't have the amps needed to spin the starter gen. Your local auto parts store can load test the battery for free, just remove it, charge it up, and take it down, they will hook up a machine to it. Or, you can load test it yourself, look on YouTube for examples.

Once you know your battery is good to go, do this:

1. Using your voltmeter set to VDC, check both terminals on the solenoids for 12.5vdc. Red lead goes on the solenoid terminal, black lead goes on the negative terminal of the battery. If you have 12.5vdc there, then proceed to the next step. If you don't, you have to trace your wiring back to the battery, but if you are hearing a click, that indicates voltage received from the battery/starter pedal switch.

2. Follow each cable down to the the starter gen and check voltage there. Make sure you remove your starter gen belt, that way it will spin freely. Again, red lead goes on terminal, black lead on negative terminal. If you have 12vdc there, and your starter/gen doesn't spin, you have a bad starter that needs rebuild or new brushes. If you don't have any voltage there, then somewhere in between the solenoids and the starter there is an issue with wiring.

Wiring issues are easy to diagnose. You start where you know you have good voltage and just trace each wire to find the problem. Fixing the problem is another story lol
So I'm having a similar issue and tried what Slo recommended. I've got good power to my starter on all legs but when I step on the pedal the power drops to 3v. Any recommendations?
cdcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

FYI- The older G1s don’t have many fuses...
One 10 amp main fuse which goes directly to the ignition switch, stop switch, and relay.

One 10 amp fuse on the negative side between the battery and frame on a very small wire ... go figure. BTW..mine is an 84 for reference.

Yes, a contactor or can fail in the closed position, but not real common. The contacts inside can weld themselves stuck.
The ignition switch provides 12v to one or the other contactor on the small blue or yellow wire, depending on switch position. Reverse also provides the buzzer circuit. Is buzzer working?
I’ve been through my electrical a lot and have the schematics and a pretty good understanding. The G1s are weird beasts as far as wiring goes. The negative side of the battery does not ground to the frame.
Let me know if I can be of help.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcoates View Post
So I'm having a similar issue and tried what Slo recommended. I've got good power to my starter on all legs but when I step on the pedal the power drops to 3v. Any recommendations?
What year is your cart?
When you depress the pedal , 12v is routed from the ignition switch through the pedal switch, and on to whichever solenoid is selected via the ignition switch. At this time, the chosen solenoid should activate. The voltage drop reeks of a dead battery... where are you reading your voltage from across the battery terminals?.. or some place else?
Old 02-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
What year is your cart?
When you depress the pedal , 12v is routed from the ignition switch through the pedal switch, and on to whichever solenoid is selected via the ignition switch. At this time, the chosen solenoid should activate. The voltage drop reeks of a dead battery... where are you reading your voltage from across the battery terminals?.. or some place else?
You think you could simplify the ignition system for us?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #15
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
Hmmm. Probably can do that. Give me a few days to ponder it.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #16
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
What year is your cart?
Quote:
Just noticed I goofed up the simplified FWD / REV diagram. The A1/A2 also needs to flip in reverse. I updated the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF5067E6-73C0-4E07-8DBF-62765CFD2B88.jpg (152.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by AGELE55; 02-15-2021 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Mistake in diagram
Old 02-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don’t see the pic at all anymore
If you can simplify the starting system and ignition system for these Old carts I think it could be very helpful in diagnostics and possibly help carts from going to the scrap yard. As simple a machine the G1 is the ignition system is rather complicated. I really wish we had some kind of support for the magneto, they are getting harder to find in good working condition and sometimes go for crazy money.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
plowman
Getting Wild

Quote:
If you can simplify the starting system and ignition system for these Old carts I think it could be very helpful in diagnostics and possibly help carts from going to the scrap yard. As simple a machine the G1 is the ignition system is rather complicated. I really wish we had some kind of support for the magneto, they are getting harder to find in good working condition and sometimes go for crazy money.
i am making them now will have them soon
plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #19
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
See it now?
Old 02-15-2021, 08:17 PM   #20
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
See it now?
Lol yes
Was it my phone 🤣
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha