lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 2+2 electric issue

Picked up a 2009 st2+2 model head lights horn and fuel gage not working gettin no power to head lights fuses look good also found other wire clips or plugs under hood not connected to anything and don’t see any where for them to connect to does anyone know what they could be for there are no rear lights on this cart at the moment this is a gas model
Bob1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 2+2 electric issue

The factory wiring harness comes with attachments for all available options, whether the options where provided on the machine or not. There are turn signals, Auxiliary power port, probably some other connectors in there. If you lost several items under the dash, it is likely a common ground wire up under the dash that has lost connection. Find all the black wires under there and trace them out till you find where they connect to the frame.
The other possibility is that the wiring harness that climbs up the frame under the driver front wheel has dropped a bit, and turning the wheels allows the tire to rub it, and I have seen them rubbed raw, through the plastic, through the wire insulation, etc. I would expect some shorting out and blown fuses if that were the case though. My bet is a ground wire.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info will try to work on it this weekend coming up I’ll let you know what I find the previous owner did disconnect the reverse beeper I think he said that stuff wasn’t working when he got it
Old 05-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I tested the switch I have power to the 2 blue wires with the switch off and no power to other wires turned switch to the light on position and had no power but lights still not on put power from another battery directly to lights and they work I had power to wires on back off switch while cart was running had power to gas gauge but didn’t work and the oil light did not flash on when I started it but the other day oil light flashed and gas gauge moved any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Got it fixed the problem is with the one blue wire on back of switch I disconnected it and took a jumper wire and grounded it to a bolt and lights now work not sure where the other end of that wire is can’t find it so I’m just running a new wire
Old 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Something sounds wonky. I'm assuming it is a 4-pin, three position switch, typical EZGO. Turn all the way left is off, middle is run position, and right is run with lights. With the key in the off position, you should only have power to one of the Blue wires with white line....that is the light supply power and comes from the fuse box. The other blue/white wire goes to the lights and will pigtail and connect to the two headlights, and likely a harness to the rear for the tail lights that you don't have. The other wire at the lights is the ground and they come together and run up to the dash where it connects to the back of the gas gauge and down to the frame under the solenoid. Using a Ohm meter, you can find the two pins on the switch that show continuity only in the far right key turn position. Those would be where the blue/white wires connect, and it doesn't matter which goes on either post. The other two posts are the green wire incoming power from the pedal start microswitch, and the blue wire that goes out and down to the solenoid. You should only have power on the green wire when the pedal is depressed, and power only goes to the solenoid when in the middle or far right key turn position and the pedal is depressed. There is usually a red wire pigtailed off the green wire on the back of the switch that provides all the power to the other gauges. The horn should be separate supply wiring direct from the fuse block...assuming it is a foot operated horn. I suspect it shares a ground with the light wiring, and that black wire that comes down the frame is either broken, or corroded at the frame not making connection, which kills all those circuits.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:07 AM   #7
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks
I pulled the wires off the switch to eliminate what wire did what I thought it was strange that both blue wires were hot that’s why I bought new switch but if I pull that middle blue wire off and ground out that terminal I get power to all lights and it will still run fine I even get power to 2 of the wires for the rear lights but the horn still doesn’t work but I’m not worried about that
Old 05-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are attaching a ground to the ignition switch, there is a problem in your wiring. There are no ground wires that get attached there. It is a double pole, single throw switch, which means there are two separate in-line switches, and they are either open or closed, closed being turned on and connected. It sounds like someone did some re-wiring on it. Do you have an EZGO switch, or some after market lawn mower switch?

And while I realize the horn doesn't matter, the reason it doesn't work is the root cause of why the other stuff is messed up, and someone re-wired it and everything else is messed up. Get it right now so when something else simple goes wrong down the road, it is easy to diagnose. The common ground wire that comes down the frame from under the front cowl isn't grounding properly, and it is likely common to the lights, horn, and gauges. Find either of the pair of light wires, at the first connector, one wire will be black. That is ground. Simply follow it back to the point where it contacts the frame. That will be the problem. It will likely splice into different directions along the way, make sure all those connections are good, but you can tug on the wire on one end of the plastic raceway and feel or see it move at the other. Heck, with nothing turned on, you should be able to use an Ohm meter and just check for continuity between any of the black wires under the cowl and a bolt or bare spot on the frame. Should be "0.00" Ohms. I bet it isn't. It almost sounds like something is shorted inside that raceway. These raceways get sand and dirt in them, and I have seen the insulation worn off several wires at a bend and they short inside the raceway.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
Bob1717
Not Yet Wild

It’s an ezgo switch I was playing around with all those wires my wiring has the snake skin webbing on them and some have the plastic on them I figured it was shorted out some where just can’t locate it
Thanks all this info is helpful I’m going to try and work on it after work I don’t have much daylight when I get home
I may just cut all the snake skin off and trace wires that way it’s all in good shape no rub marks on cuts I was trying to find a good wiring diagram for it but no luck
It’s pretty dirty under that cover next to the battery where the solenoid is but I’m getting good voltage there
Old 05-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1717 View Post
It’s an ezgo switch I was playing around with all those wires my wiring has the snake skin webbing on them and some have the plastic on them I figured it was shorted out some where just can’t locate it
Thanks all this info is helpful I’m going to try and work on it after work I don’t have much daylight when I get home
I may just cut all the snake skin off and trace wires that way it’s all in good shape no rub marks on cuts I was trying to find a good wiring diagram for it but no luck
It’s pretty dirty under that cover next to the battery where the solenoid is but I’m getting good voltage there
You should be checking for continuity along the wires and between them. You should not have continuity between wires, if you do, they are shorted together in the run, and you should have continuity from one end to the other. If you don't, there is a break in the wire somewhere. On the ground side, you can check from one end of the wire to the frame, that verifies the connection at the frame is good. That mesh wrap makes it tougher, but there is usually only one wire of any color going in, and the same number of wires and colors coming out. Any place you have taps off to other devices, you can verify continuity to those device wires to see what is connected to what. Usually, grounds will be tapped mid-line, lights all splice at connectors, and hot side gets home runs from the solenoid or fuse box, with the exception of the hot for the gauges, as they are pigtailed off the incoming hot from the pedal microswitch. That is why the gauges only work when the pedal is pressed. Blue with white stripe are light wires, black should all be grounds. Red, yellow, and white wires are power supply for various components including Aux 12v outlet, turn signals, oil light. Green is the hot to the ign switch from the pedal, solid blue is the signal wire from the switch to the solenoid small terminal. I don't have a wiring diagram for the late model carts but as I recall, the wiring is the same from for start and accessories.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO