lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
pacemetalfab
Not Yet Wild

Default Robins EH35C

I have a EZ Go Workhorse with the Robins EH35C.

Are the valve stem seals the same for exhaust and intake? We let this cart run low on oil. Both cylinders are testing 180 p.s.i. I am hoping the seals are the problem. The engine smokes sporadically.

Thanks,

Tom
pacemetalfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robins EH35C

Yes they’re both the same. Just changed all of mine out last night!
ShrunkenMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemetalfab View Post
I have a EZ Go Workhorse with the Robins EH35C.

Are the valve stem seals the same for exhaust and intake? We let this cart run low on oil. Both cylinders are testing 180 p.s.i. I am hoping the seals are the problem. The engine smokes sporadically.

Thanks,

Tom
oil level?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
pacemetalfab
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
oil level?
Stovebolt,

Excellent question. This cart ran all summer at our campground with having the oil level checked. I'm to blame for that. I bought this engine "rebuilt" from an Ebay rebuilder. I'm now guessing it hadn't been bored, just a fresh set of rings.

To answer your question on oil level the engine was empty. After refilling with oil the crazy smoking takes place. The compression numbers are great 180 on both.... I was thinking that trying a new set of seals was worth a try. I have read that seals can be problem too.

Both spark plugs are badly fouled from oil.

Thanks for the replies.

Tom
Old 04-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

When you said "smokes sporadically" I was thinking too much oil, if you do have a lift kit you can't trust the dipstick .. 1.5 quarts and that's it or it will smokes sporadically, more so going up hills.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
pacemetalfab
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
When you said "smokes sporadically" I was thinking too much oil, if you do have a lift kit you can't trust the dipstick .. 1.5 quarts and that's it or it will smokes sporadically, more so going up hills.

This cart is all factory.

Tom
Old 04-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemetalfab View Post
This cart is all factory.

Tom
Old 04-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If the engine has been run previously smoking, the exhaust may have a build up of oil in the exhaust burning off. Valve seals and stems may cause your issue, and also a blocked up air filter will pull oil and vapours up through the PCV valve creating smoke. You say you have oily plugs, so it may not be the exhaust, but don't dismiss it. You don't mention if the plugs were new or original so that would make a difference to suspecting the exhaust. With that much compression, i would say the bores and rings are pretty good so that would be the last thing i check.

First thing i would check is the air filter. If this has not been changed or cleaned then its the easiest and cheapest thing to check, then move on to the seals.

Check also if there is any oil in the air filter box, that would indicate either oil drawing up through the PCV from a blocked air filter or leaking inlet valves over pressurising the crankcase.

Let us know what you find.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
pacemetalfab
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If the engine has been run previously smoking, the exhaust may have a build up of oil in the exhaust burning off. Valve seals and stems may cause your issue, and also a blocked up air filter will pull oil and vapours up through the PCV valve creating smoke. You say you have oily plugs, so it may not be the exhaust, but don't dismiss it. You don't mention if the plugs were new or original so that would make a difference to suspecting the exhaust. With that much compression, i would say the bores and rings are pretty good so that would be the last thing i check.

First thing i would check is the air filter. If this has not been changed or cleaned then its the easiest and cheapest thing to check, then move on to the seals.

Check also if there is any oil in the air filter box, that would indicate either oil drawing up through the PCV from a blocked air filter or leaking inlet valves over pressurising the crankcase.

Let us know what you find.
Hello Cartmaster,

New plugs but the filter... 'never considered that item.

What's the saying on troubleshooting? "Look for the most obvious"
The PCV is another area I never considered.

I'll report my findings.

Tom
Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
ShrunkenMonsters
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If the PCV is to blame you’ll likely see oil in between that pipe inlet and your carb and definitely all over your butterfly inside your carb. If you think that it may be the valve stem seals, take your air box, carb, and spacer off and stick your finger back till you feel the valve stem on the left and right of the Y that it makes in there. If it’s your valve stem seals you’ll see oil on your finger. I just changed all of mine out the other day. The reason they’re all the same (intake and exhaust) is because there are metal valve guides in between the intake and exhaust gasses. If you’ve got the cash, and the valve stem seals are to blame, I’d change out the guides as well at the same time. I did pretty well on Amazon the other day and got a set of valve stem seals for $18 then I had to pay $12 a piece for the other two because I bought the last set from the place that stocked them in pairs. But after I got them installed, and did a re-route of the HEI conversion that I did to make it look cleaner in the engine bay, it dramatically reduced the smoke coming from my exhaust. Hope this helps.
ShrunkenMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve stem seals
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO