lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Lamboblue
Not Yet Wild

Default Press pedal and no go. Please help!!

Hey guys, first post but longtime lurker. Having an issue that I cannot resolve despite about 8 hours of troubleshooting. I’m going mad. Hoping for some direction.

1996 EZGO txt Gas

Problem: step on pedal and nothing happens, no solenoid click, starter does not engage.

How it happened: last weekend went for drive, everything fine, parked cart for 5 minutes. Returned to cart, stepped on pedal and nothing. Turned key off/on. Reversed out no problem. Shifted to drive, step on pedal and nothing. Pushed cart back into parking spot. Cart was driving fine up until this point. Zero issues.

What I’ve noticed: I have installed a lighted switch beside my key switch. Both have to be on for cart to drive (to complete Infiniti on loop). When I press the pedal, the light goes out. When I release the pedal the light comes back on - but slightly dimmer. Same with my reverse beeper - press pedal and beep stops, release pedal it comes back on.

What I’ve tested:
-I have used a 16ga wire to replace each wire in the ignition loop, one by one. Same results - nothing, no solenoid click, light goes out when circuit completed.
-I have tested each switch for continuity - all good.
-I have bypassed each switch one by one, same results - switch light goes out when completing the loop, then back on dim when disengaged. This is the case with key switch, secondary lighted switch, foot pedal ms and FnR ms.
-I used the wire to connect large pole of solenoid on starter side directly to small pole with red wire (effectively bypassing the entire ignition loop) and no change, nothing happens.
-connecting battery positive to the small solenoid terminal with red wire will cause solenoid to click. This is the only way I’ve been able to get it to click. That tells me solenoid is actually working I think.
-battery is at 12.5V and passed load test.
-I get the same 12.5V to large pole of solenoid on battery side, and to each switch - HOWEVER- when I press the pedal this voltage drops to about 4V (dim light??) and will eventually return to 12.5V.

Biggest inconvenience is I can only work on this on the weekends as it’s at a different location. So I’m looking for ideas on what to try next when I’m back there. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I’m missing something that should be obvious, but you guys are the experts.

Thanks in advance.
Lamboblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
topdogcattle
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Press pedal and no go. Please help!!

Very interested to see what is your problem. I have a 1996 txt gas. I've got s click when I push pedal but will not start. This started doing this at random, Now will not go at all !! Does anyone know if there is a switch of some kind above the steel plate cover beneath the pedal, under the cart floor ??

Thanks
topdogcattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboblue View Post
Hey guys, first post but longtime lurker. Having an issue that I cannot resolve despite about 8 hours of troubleshooting. I’m going mad. Hoping for some direction.

1996 EZGO txt Gas

Problem: step on pedal and nothing happens, no solenoid click, starter does not engage.

How it happened: last weekend went for drive, everything fine, parked cart for 5 minutes. Returned to cart, stepped on pedal and nothing. Turned key off/on. Reversed out no problem. Shifted to drive, step on pedal and nothing. Pushed cart back into parking spot. Cart was driving fine up until this point. Zero issues.

What I’ve noticed: I have installed a lighted switch beside my key switch. Both have to be on for cart to drive (to complete Infiniti on loop). When I press the pedal, the light goes out. When I release the pedal the light comes back on - but slightly dimmer. Same with my reverse beeper - press pedal and beep stops, release pedal it comes back on.

What I’ve tested:
-I have used a 16ga wire to replace each wire in the ignition loop, one by one. Same results - nothing, no solenoid click, light goes out when circuit completed.
-I have tested each switch for continuity - all good.
-I have bypassed each switch one by one, same results - switch light goes out when completing the loop, then back on dim when disengaged. This is the case with key switch, secondary lighted switch, foot pedal ms and FnR ms.
-I used the wire to connect large pole of solenoid on starter side directly to small pole with red wire (effectively bypassing the entire ignition loop) and no change, nothing happens.
-connecting battery positive to the small solenoid terminal with red wire will cause solenoid to click. This is the only way I’ve been able to get it to click. That tells me solenoid is actually working I think.
-battery is at 12.5V and passed load test.
-I get the same 12.5V to large pole of solenoid on battery side, and to each switch - HOWEVER- when I press the pedal this voltage drops to about 4V (dim light??) and will eventually return to 12.5V.

Biggest inconvenience is I can only work on this on the weekends as it’s at a different location. So I’m looking for ideas on what to try next when I’m back there. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I’m missing something that should be obvious, but you guys are the experts.

Thanks in advance.
Assuming it was working fine the way it is wired, and just decided to quit...sounds to me like the battery is bad. You said it passed a load test, but the fact that it is dropping to 4V under load says otherwise. Put a volt meter on the pos and neg terminals on the battery, you get 12.5v, leave them on and press the pedal. If it drops to 4 across the battery terminals, the battery won't push the load. Replace the battery, and all should be fine.

There is a hot wire with an inline fuse that leads from the battery to the reverse buzzer microswitch then continues through a piggyback spade connector under the cart floor board to the pedal microswitch (red wire) It leaves the pedal micro switch on a green wire, back into the engine compartment and over to another spade connection with the green wire that heads up the frame straight to the ignition switch. When you turn the ignition switch on, power leaves the switch on a blue wire that runs back down the frame to the small terminal on the solenoid where it gives 12v to the solenoid and initiates the contactor sending 12v over the large wire to the starter/generator. You need to make sure the ground wire on the back of the starter generator is well connected to the frame and to the engine. You also need to make sure the ground wire on the other small terminal on the solenoid makes good connection to the frame. It is usually connected to the support bracket that holds the solenoid, ignitor, and voltage regulator. That bracket makes the ground to the frame and often rusts between the two. Make sure that plate is well grounded to the frame or it won't trigger the solenoid contactor and is a regular problem with these carts.
JPonLKN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogcattle View Post
Very interested to see what is your problem. I have a 1996 txt gas. I've got s click when I push pedal but will not start. This started doing this at random, Now will not go at all !! Does anyone know if there is a switch of some kind above the steel plate cover beneath the pedal, under the cart floor ??

Thanks
If you are getting a click, but not turning over, it could be the battery dropping out under load, or your brushes on the starter generator may be bad. They are only a few bucks online and nothing more than a screw driver to change out. Lots of YouTube videos on how to change them.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
Lamboblue
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JPonLKN. My next angle of attack is the ground wires, which makes perfect sense but I was thinking there was a broken load wire in the loop which is why I started there.

Interestingly, I never kept my leads on the battery itself to see if there was load drop, just at the switches and solenoid. I will also try that. I attached a load tester last night and it was in the OKAY range when switched on.

I appreciate the the insight, thanks again!
Old 04-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboblue View Post
Thanks JPonLKN. My next angle of attack is the ground wires, which makes perfect sense but I was thinking there was a broken load wire in the loop which is why I started there.

Interestingly, I never kept my leads on the battery itself to see if there was load drop, just at the switches and solenoid. I will also try that. I attached a load tester last night and it was in the OKAY range when switched on.

I appreciate the the insight, thanks again!
If the load test is good at the battery, but not when connected at say the pos and neg terminals on the starter/generator, it will likely be a bad ground. The first one I would look at is the one that grounds the small terminal on the solenoid. You could take a spare wire and connect it to the same small terminal on the solenoid as the existing black wire and attach it directly to the frame, then try to start. If it works, it is the ground at the plate. If not that ground, I would look at the ground between the starter generator and the frame and engine. Also, loose battery terminal could be the issues.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #7
Lamboblue
Not Yet Wild

I will try in that order. I have not tested anything on the starter/generator yet because I figured if the solenoid is not clicking then the problem lies at or before the solenoid.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
old231
Not Yet Wild

Just went through a similar problem. 1989 Ezgo. It got to where I would sometimes had to 'stomp' on the gas to get it to turn over. It may or may not start. Not a good practice. Checked the battery and cleaned the posts. Checked the grounds, and microswitch, all good. Solenoid would click in sometimes. My last move was to disconnect all wires at the solenoid. All four poles, one pole at a time. Reconnected with the largest wire first and work out to the smallest wire. Scraped the two male spade connectors and tightened the curl on the female side. Can't tell you if just removing the solenoid wires or scraping the spade connectors did the job, but it starts at the slightest touch of the pedal now. No new parts. PS, I had a similar voltage drop prior to disconnecting all the wires at the solenoid. Not now.
old231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
Lamboblue
Not Yet Wild

Interesting. I’ll try anything at this point. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #10
topdogcattle
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Jpon, I appreciate the response, will try to test starter generator . Do you know if the steel plate underneath the floor at the pedal has a switch inside of it that may need to be checked ??
topdogcattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO