lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
l7ja75a
Not Yet Wild

Default How to tell if ignitor is bad?

I have a 1997 ezgo and I think the ignitor is bad. How do I tell?
l7ja75a is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to tell if ignitor is bad?

Your symptoms are that the engine cranks but you see no spark? The manual states that the only wayto test the ignitor is to replace it with a known good unit. However you can make some tests first.

Check all your grounds. This is a common issue, remove the nuts, clean everything to bare metal and replace.
Test your pulsar, that model should show 20 ohms. Do this at the connector on the ignitor to ensure that the small connector hidden behind the air filter is good.
Check the coil between the small positive and negative terminals, you should see 3 - 4 ohms. Pull both spark plug leads off and measure across them. You should see 1 -2 Mega ohms.
Make sure the engine is actually turning. This is bizarre but it screwed me over for two days. The clutch was loose on the crankshaft (someone had decided to lube it) and when you started it everything turned giving the illusion that the engine was turning but no spark!
Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
topdogcattle
Not Yet Wild

This test is for a gas cart ...correct ?
topdogcattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogcattle View Post
This test is for a gas cart ...correct ?
Your best bet it to start your own thread, offer your symptoms, and we can help you diagnose. Jumping on a 10 year old thread leads to confusion on threads if they take a while to resolve. From your question on the other thread today, I don't think your issue will be the ignitor. Has to turn over first...sounds like yours isn't getting past the starter/generator.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO