lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
1992G8
Gone Wild

Default My Plowman's Performance Kit versus My VC 460

I've read more than a few posts on this board regarding what way to go to improve performance on a Yamaha cart. Some people love the Big Block, some people love their Plowman's set-up. Some love them both for different reasons. Well, over the last year I have done them both and this past weekend I had the opportunity to compare them side-by-side. Now, i realize the Plowman's Performance Kit is nowhere near the limit as far as performance upgrades available from Don, and there is more that could be done to improve the performance of the VC460. But also keep in mind I have $1500 in the VC kit, and less than half of that in what I spent at Plowman's (that includes engine mounts, clutch puller, s/g belt, new primary clutch, and the performance kit). Nothing that follows should be interpreted that I am dissatisfied with Vegas Carts. Both companies represent themselves well and have excellent customer service.

The Carts:

1992 G8 with VC 460 / Comet 780 / Plowman's Big Block Secondary Clutch / No lift - stock size tires

versus

1999 G16 with Plowman's Performance Kit and a new Plowman's Primary Clutch / No lift - stock tires

My brother and I use these carts to push our race cars at the drag strip. Now, I'm not saying our cars are the fastest things to ever turn a tire, but they go 6.50s at over 208 MPH. I offer that only as background to suggest I have a pretty good understanding of acceleration, torque, speed, etc..

I don't know much about my G16. I paid $700 dollars for it as weeds were growing up through it in some guy's back yard. I have never even checked the compression. All I did was precisely follow Don's instructions for checking things, installation, and adjustment.

I figured both carts would have about the same "top speed", approximately 30 MPH. I assumed the G8 would reach that speed in a very short distance compared to the G16. I was WRONG.

The Testing:

I took the G16 to the "North 40" at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio. I used a perfect stretch of flat asphalt to make my GPS runs. First run was 28 MPH and felt great. Then sixth run was 30 MPH, smooth as silk. I also noticed the cart was getting "quicker" as well. By that I mean I was paying attention to how much distance it took to reach 25 MPH, and that distance continued to get shorter. I could not believe how quickly this thing accelerated. I expected it to take much longer to "get up to speed" based on reading posts about how much "quicker" the Big Blocks are. This cart is flat-out fast, quiet, smooth, and a pleasure to drive. Later in the weekend this cart went 31 MPH on the same stretch of road.

I switched carts and took the G8 to the same spot to see what it would do. I have already passed the "break-in" time (which is a pain in the a**) on the VC 460 so I could run it wide open. I have no complaints about the VC engine. It's a good piece. This cart runs good, accelerates well, goes 30 MPH at 6,000 RPM on the same stretch of asphalt. Two things though: 1) The 0 to 25 MPH distance was only about 40 feet shorter than the G16. 2) The Comet clutch is LOUD

Analysis:

Now, I realize the Big Block fans are going to claim it's not a fair comparison unless I see what the Big Block would do in the G16. Fair enough. However....

The performance of my Plowman's Kit is nothing short of amazing. When you consider the cost, the ease of installation, and the end performance result, it's a no-brainer what to choose. I'm happy with my VC460, but it took a long time and a lot of work to get there for very marginal performance advantages over what Don Plowman can do to your cart. Throughout the weekend, my G16 was never in our pit. Someone was always riding it. The question I was asked most often, "How did you get that thing to be so fast AND so quiet?"

I am going to make someone a great deal on my G8 with Vegas Carts 460. I'm selling it and buying another cart to do some Plowman's upgrades. I've already asked him what cart to look for. When he told me what to try to find he said something like, "I can really make those sing" or something like that. I don't know what we're going to do to make it sing, but I'm all for it and I know I will be extremely pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2159.jpg (337.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2156.jpg (289.4 KB, 0 views)
1992G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: My Plowman's Performance Kit versus My VC 460

What your testing lacks is that the extra power of the VC 460 is not being used with the stock tires.Put some larger tires or high speed gears and see what happens.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
1992G8
Gone Wild

I know what will happen. It will run more MPH. Doesn't change a thing about the two experiences I have had and the end results.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Got to love Plowman's!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

All I am going to say by that logic a stock 23 hp vanguard with a governor would be far slower,a slightly built 23 hp vanguard with a rev kit limited to 5000 rpms would be slower, and a pretty built 23 hp vanguard running to 6000 rpms still would be about the same speed. If you don't gear up for the extra power you are not going to see the speed difference. ANY of the preceding examples are certainly going to be a lot faster than by limiting them to stock gearing and tires.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
1992G8
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
If you don't gear up for the extra power you are not going to see the speed difference
Yep. Got it. Still doesn't change a thing about the two experiences I have had.

With taller tires I could add 5-6 more mph and it would go faster. I understand that. The performance difference still wouldn't be significant enough to outweigh the negatives (i.e.: cost, work, fabricating exhaust, loud comet clutch, loud exhaust, break-in period) for most people.

The point of the thread is if you want to become a golf cart mechanic and tinker with the thing for a while till you get everything right - go for it. If you want to get really great performance at less cost, FAR less work, and much quieter parts, call Don Plowman.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

this is from Vegas carts instruction page:
Yamaha G16-G22;
A cart with factory 18" tires should be realizing top speeds of 36-38mph on 96-07 Yamaha 16-G22. Oversize tires (22"+) will usually add 5-6mph to those numbers

Yamaha G2-G14;
A cart with factory 18" tires should be realizing top speeds of 28-30mph on Yamaha G2, G9, G14. Oversize tires (22"+) will usually add 5-6mph to those numbers.

Now who can explain this? 8mph difference right off the bat with both carts using a VC460
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I am guessing the later cart has a higher gear ratio. The internet says the final drive ratios are as follows ; G16 = 11.34 vs the G2-8 = 13.65. Is this true yamaha experts ?
Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I love the clones, vc 460 and all. But is sounds like you had a very good experience with dons parts and service. Can I ask what cart he told you to find?
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I am guessing the later cart has a higher gear ratio. Is this true yamaha experts ?
I asked this question a while ago, only reply I got was 12.5:1
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performance, plowman, plowman's
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha