lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Puck Nut
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Hot wired through batt meter

I have an MPT 1000 the two hot leads have been pulled of the batt. meter and spliced together in order to power the cart. I put them back on the meter turned the key switch and the cart would not move and no solenoid click. The cart only runs in this hotwired mode. The key switch is good checked continuity for both lights and power. However the lights do not work. Fuses good. Reverse beeper works switch bypassed or not. Any ideas why it wont operate without bypassing key switch???
Puck Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Puck Nut
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hot wired through batt meter

Also what is the function white and white/orange wire on the key switch?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
WGCS
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Does the cart run with the key off when those wires are together? Those could be the key switch wires that someone could have reinstalled incorrectly
WGCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Puck Nut
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No, the cart wont run when I spliced the white and white/orange together. The batt. meter shows no life either. It only runs when the two red batt meter wires are spliced.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What kind of meter do you have? Most meters have a positive & a negative going to them, not two reds. Sounds like to me somebody tried to cut & hook up the charge receptacle safety circuit (red wire) to the meter. This wire has to have battery pack voltage on it for cart to run.....

Look in the Stickies at the beginning of this forum for a wiring diagram for your cart & compare to what you have......
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Puck Nut
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The dashboard battery meter is a 48 volt led stock meter. Has incoming 48 volt pos. and a red wire off the keyswitch and black neg. All stock setup. #1 #2 and #4 terminals on meter.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You've go a wiring issue. Check it to a diagram & pay close attention to those solenoid activation (key-switch) wires. Sounds like it's getting the power it needs in order to activate solenoid from the 48v positive wire for the meter (when spliced together), & not through the correct wire (I'm assuming the Orange/white). Hopefully JohnnieB will see this & chime in.....he's a guru when it comes to wiring on these carts, & also can explain it in understandable terms!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a link to the service manual: http://bennettgolfcars.ca/upfile/man...1116122612.pdf

This covers several models and both 36 and 48v. Wiring diagrams are in there. Make sure you are on the correct page for your model.

In general terms, carts that came with factory lights have a three position key switch. Off, On and On with lights. Pack voltage (36 or 4 goes through key switch and also 12v for the lights. So there is a pack voltage circuit through the key switch and also a 12v circuit. The 12v circuit has nothing to do with cart operation. Only for lights and horn. The battery meter is wired directly to the battery pack for pack voltage but is also connected to the key switch to power the meter (light it up so you can see it).

It is normal for reverse beeper to operate when reverse is selected regardless of key position.

I'm not a trouble shooter so this is all I can contribute. Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

edit: I don't know why there is a an emogy in place of the 8 but I can't fix it.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Puck Nut
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

On the diagram the the white and white/yellow look to just connect the 1 thru 12 pins on the controller via the switch. I said white /orange earlier in the post. guess its whit/yel.
Maybe if the batt. meter is burnt out the cart wont run unless you splice the two reds on the meter together?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Battery meter is not part of the solenoid activation circuit and does not affect the operation of the cart. A lot of carts don't even have it. Generally an option.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO