lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS Not Running Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherpin View Post
Ok,
I installed the Alltrax 400 PDS controller. Looks like I don't need the speed sensor anymore as there is no place to plug it in. My question is when I turn on the key and put the cart in either F or R it makes a loud click coming from the Controller/Solenoid? The controller comes on and gives the correct 4 green light blinking sequence then goes to solid green. Everything seems to be working its just making that click that I never heard before with the old Curtis controller.
Alltrax DCX controllers tend to energize the solenoid for a few moments when they power up, but they don't do it every time they power up, so don't worry if you don't hear the click.

The Run/Tow has to be in Run and key has to be ON and a direction selected on the F/R for the DCX to be powered up, so the solenoid clicks when the last of those conditions is met. After the solenoid drops out while the DCX is powered up, the solenoid only clicks when the pedal is pushed.

Save the speed sensor. If Alltrax ever gets their act together and releases their new XCT controller for PDS carts, and you decide to upgrade to one at a latter date, you may have a need for it.

I'M curious, what is your top speed on level ground. My calculations for 22" tires and a stock PDS motor at 36V is 29.5 MPH, but you aren't likely to reach that speed due to the increased drag caused by tall tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #12
bherpin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: PDS Not Running Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Alltrax DCX controllers tend to energize the solenoid for a few moments when they power up, but they don't do it every time they power up, so don't worry if you don't hear the click.

The Run/Tow has to be in Run and key has to be ON and a direction selected on the F/R for the DCX to be powered up, so the solenoid clicks when the last of those conditions is met. After the solenoid drops out while the DCX is powered up, the solenoid only clicks when the pedal is pushed.

Save the speed sensor. If Alltrax ever gets their act together and releases their new XCT controller for PDS carts, and you decide to upgrade to one at a latter date, you may have a need for it.

I'M curious, what is your top speed on level ground. My calculations for 22" tires and a stock PDS motor at 36V is 29.5 MPH, but you aren't likely to reach that speed due to the increased drag caused by tall tires.
I'm not sure yet but I can tell you this, "It Hauls @SS!!" Wow, what a difference compared to the old controller. It feels like I'm gonna pop a wheelie when I take off. I'll try to clock it this weekend and report back. Wish I had done this a long time ago.
bherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS Not Running Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherpin View Post
I'm not sure yet but I can tell you this, "It Hauls @SS!!" Wow, what a difference compared to the old controller. It feels like I'm gonna pop a wheelie when I take off. I'll try to clock it this weekend and report back. Wish I had done this a long time ago.
Yep, a stock PDS motor coupled with a DCX400 is a wicked combo. Just don't try going down a hill with a wide open to see how fast it will go.

PDS Motor, DCX400, 400A solenoid and 2Ga cable at 36V was my first set-up, then I went to 42V.
Then I did the downhill trick and exploded the PDS motor, which took out the DCX400 as it went.

With your 22" tire, you're not revving the motor as high as I am on my 17" tires, so it probably won't happen to you since you'd have to be doing nearly 45 MPH to reach the RPM I was turning and most sane people would back off long before a golf cart with a relatively stock suspension got going that fast. (Granted, there are some carts that have been modified to handle 40+ MPH, but I stipulated sane people. )

Anyway, it wasn't RPM alone, it was a combination of high motor temperature and heavy regen braking in conjunction with 8,000+ RPM.

The motor was hot (220° case temperature) from about 15 miles of hard driving (max speeds and steep hills) and was doing fine at the high RPM, until I lifted my foot and the regen braking kicked in. That's when the armature exploded and seized the motor, which locked up the rear tires and I slid to a stop from about 34 MPH.

------------
I'm not saying your PDS motor will explode if you run it to fast going downhill, just saying a remote possibility exists. Just try to keep the RPM below about 6,500, which is 34.2 MPH on 22" tires.

-------------
If your motor is getting too hot to touch, deselect the Turbo box. Turbo only gets you another 2 MPH or so on the top end and generates a lot of motor heat.

Also, by adjusting the Throttle Up Rate slider, you can get your cart to come off the line like a dragster or like a luxury car with a powerful engine or someplace in between.

Have fun.........
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO