lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Simmo306
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 Precedent Batteries Overheating

I have a 2011 Club Car Precedent with original batteries. I have charged and conducted a discharge test which came out at 56 minutes and all batteries were in the correct range when doing a load test.

After 2 weeks of use I put it on charge the other night, when I checked it the next morning there was heat radiating from the whole cart. The rear cowl was warm to touch and then the batteries were hot to touch. The charger had clicked off.

What would cause the batteries to over heat like this?
Simmo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Precedent Batteries Overheating

Two weeks of "use" before charging? That right there is a problem! The batteries should be charged anytime the cart is not in use; with a properly functioning charger this is not an issue. Sounds as though the batteries may have been heavily discharged and thus getting hot due to the extended length of time required to charge them.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also if they are OE they are very likely close to the end of their life and that can add to the heat created when charging....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

5 years is usually the life of batteries in a cart if they are kept in good shape.I have heard of longer life from a few people that have taken the extra care to pamper their batteries.When I get new batteries if I can get 5 years out of them then that would be great.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Simmo306
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Also if they are OE they are very likely close to the end of their life and that can add to the heat created when charging....
By 2 weeks of use I mean charging regularly, just this one time it got hot all of a sudden.
Simmo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Batteries should not get very hot while charging normally. (only warm) Sounds like they are being severely over charged.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, hot, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car