lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
PinballDad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 rxv braking issues

I took my park brake off my 2008 rxv years ago. Runs fine. I have always had a key intermittent issue and I replaced alot of parts trying to correct it. One was a brand new brake, it did not help so I took it off. Again, this was years ago.

Just trying to inform folks so they know that 2008 is not affected by missing brake. I do not know what controller I have, forgot lol.
PinballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
paintdude96
Been Wild Since Day 1

E-Z-GO

contact bsikes09 he has an rxv that did this and he some how fixed it or bypassed it
paintdude96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #13
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I took mine off. After two new ones at +$200 a pop I got tired of that. Cart runs fine. You just need to find a new parking brake. I'm attaching a pic of my "aftermarket" parking brake. The cart will still stop just fine. I actually took the brake off, took it apart and gutted the actual stopping mechanism and put it back on to keep the end of the motor from being exposed to the elements.

bsikes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
PinballDad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsikes09 View Post
I took mine off. After two new ones at +$200 a pop I got tired of that. Cart runs fine. You just need to find a new parking brake. I'm attaching a pic of my "aftermarket" parking brake. The cart will still stop just fine. I actually took the brake off, took it apart and gutted the actual stopping mechanism and put it back on to keep the end of the motor from being exposed to the elements.

Interesting idea to protect from contamination. Maybe I will gut my old one and put it on like you did. I still have a brand new one I would sell if anyone wants it.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Just take caution when you take it apart. There is a slight amount of compression between the top plate and the rest of the brake assembly.... Not like take a finger off pressure, just enough to make screws go flying off to un-findable places. I clamped mine in the bench vice, took the screws out, and slowly decompressed it.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

bsikes, so how do you still have brakes, if you removed it?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #17
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The module on the end of the motor is ONLY the parking brake. Inside the parking brake there is a metal disc and then something like a ceramic disc which the motor shafts is inserted in to. Whenever you hit the gas it applies voltage to the parking brake, and sucks the steel plate to the body of the brake module taking pressure off of the ceramic disc allowing it to spin freely with the shaft.
Whenever almost ANYTHING goes wrong with the RXV the first thing it does is refuses to disengage the parking brake.... A lot of time the problems are misdiagnosed as brake problems but it's something causing the computer to not disengage the brake. The other problem is when the driver is able to drive the cart slowly (even with pedal completely depressed) and they start to smell the burning. That is the computer disengaging the brake thinking everything is okay, but the brake itself failing to disengage (bad brake). The motor itself is what actually "brakes" and stops the cart. You can Google AC induction motors to learn more.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Thanks for saving me from typing this again....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #19
PinballDad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsikes09 View Post
The module on the end of the motor is ONLY the parking brake. Inside the parking brake there is a metal disc and then something like a ceramic disc which the motor shafts is inserted in to. Whenever you hit the gas it applies voltage to the parking brake, and sucks the steel plate to the body of the brake module taking pressure off of the ceramic disc allowing it to spin freely with the shaft.
Whenever almost ANYTHING goes wrong with the RXV the first thing it does is refuses to disengage the parking brake.... A lot of time the problems are misdiagnosed as brake problems but it's something causing the computer to not disengage the brake. The other problem is when the driver is able to drive the cart slowly (even with pedal completely depressed) and they start to smell the burning. That is the computer disengaging the brake thinking everything is okay, but the brake itself failing to disengage (bad brake). The motor itself is what actually "brakes" and stops the cart. You can Google AC induction motors to learn more.
Yes. You explained it perfectly. I can add that the RXV decelerates the vehicle just fine with the park brake removed. It uses the motor to brake, or refuce speed when the brake pedal is depressed. It's sll magnetism Mr. Watson...it's all magnetism I tell you!!! lol
Old 03-25-2016, 01:36 AM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The "i been without a brake for years" part is true, if your carts software will allow you to do it. But it only shows a incredibly small percentage of the users of the rxv & golf carts in general (those who are ok with jumping off to throw a wedge behind the wheel after they stop, a group i am generally in too), and how stuff gets used in the average pool of users (whom ezgo needs to avoid being sued by). Imagine if a golf course had a whole fleet of carts with no ability to park.. The ability of the cart to stop in the event of a system failure is gone, and the ability to park in a slightly sloped parking lot at the store by turning the key off or latching the pedal is gone. The ability to hand the key to your kid or neighbor is gone (not that all of us would ever do that). In the event of any incident, better hope no one ever figures out that the cart was used this way. It is possible to operate Some RXVs this way, but lots of things are "traded off" by not fixing it right. To those who are doing this, i dont mean to offend, but, good luck, and the cart would be a nicer vehicle if it worked right. I'll get a few more flames by saying this, i dont mind. All im saying is, There is a tradeoff for not fixing it right.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO