lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Powerwise charger question

Two ezgo carts that I use the same 36 volts charger on. Charger looks good inside and have cleaned all connections.
When I first plug the charger into either cart the amps go 15 plus depending just how low the batteries are...My problem is that it never goes over 41 volts going into the battery while charging...I believe it should be 44 to 46 volts...I have noticed other carts they seem to be around the 44 to 46 volt mark.

Normally electrical or electronic things/parts usually work or don't work...What if anything in the charger would make it not put out enough volts..

Thanks
Bill
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Powerwise charger question

Are you sure that if left alone that it NEVER increases the voltage? As the amperage tapers off the voltage should increase but that may be hours into the charging sequence.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

A capacitor that is "drifting away from its original value" will cause just that. Sometimes they fail outright, sometimes they drift from original spec. The capacitor is a "tuning device" for the transformer, so a little out of spec can equal charging performance thats a little out of spec.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

TEECRO....Yes Sir, it stays the same, I have installed the little led volt gauges on both my carts and have notice several times during the charge that it stays the same...

CGTECH...I have several older chargers so will see if the capacitor is the same on one of them, also have a capacitor tester....I will get back to this thread to let you know...

Thanks both of you for your help..

Bill
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is how to check the transformer and capacitor for the proper output voltage.

Also, the on-charge voltage of a 36V ferroresonant transformer type charger stays around 42V for a long time during the charge cycle. It is only at the end of the cycle that it climbs above that point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text-1.jpg (367.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO