lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #21
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tinned Copper cables or not

Electrical solder 60/40 (tin/lead) with a melting temp, 400° F.
Some lead free electrical solder , with higher % of tin
When "tinning" wires, do it quick so not to wick the solder up the wire,
it makes the wire stiff
We had an "anti wicking " tool to prevent that,

Plumbing solder is not electrical solder
Some is acid core
All now is "no lead"
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I've never put a scope on the output or input to a golf cart motor controller, so I stole the wavshape drawing from the Curtis 1204/1205 manual.

Here is the whole page as well as a page with a block diagram for a 1204/5 controller.

From what I can tell, the power output section of the controllers we have today is roughly the same as it was in the 1204. Probably some improvements in the components themselves, but I believe the block diagram and theory of operation are about the same. There have been big changes in the logic circuits controlling the power output section, but the basic functions are still about the same in those areas also.

The part I find fascinating is the "Freewheel" diode (aka Flyback), which allows current to keep flowing in the same direction through the windings when the MOSFETs turn off. This turns the energy stored in the inductance of the windings into torque rather than being lost as heat, increasing the motor's efficiency at duty cycles less than 100%.

What isn't shown or mentioned, is that this also means the motor current is higher than the battery current when the duty cycle is less than 100%, which in turn means the amp flow is higher between controller and motor than it is between controller and battery unless duty cycle is 0% or 100%.

That in turn means that the cable from the motor to B+ should be connected to the B+ terminal on the controller instead of the controller side large terminal on the solenoid, to keep the current pact (cable length) as short as possible. I don't know about CC or other brand carts, but EZGO connected the B+ cable from motor to the solenoid's controller side large terminal along with a short cable to the B+ terminal on the controller when both of those cables ought to have been connected to the B+ terminal on the controller.

-------
FWIW: A SepEx controller works about the same as a Series. A Series controller has a single set of high power MOSFETs while the SepEx controller has three sets, one high power set feeding the armature and two low power sets feeding the field (one set for Forward and another one for Reverse). Of course the logic section of a SepEx controller is more complex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWM waveshape at motor.JPG (182.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Curtis 1204 block diagram with text.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
crash test dummy

well there you go !!!
thanks johnnie
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #24
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

My thoughts exactly.
Thank you ,JohnnieB
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car