lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
brettntc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1994 Medalist loose steering and sway

I recently put a set of 14" wheels with low profile tires (20" overall) on my ezgo medalist. After putting on the tires i noticed they where rubbing on the body when i would turn sharply or hit bumps so I upgraded the front springs to HD springs. The new springs fixed my issues with the tire rubbing the body but know I have noticed that the cart steering has become loose and there is alot more sway in the cart after upgrading the springs. Is this normal for HD springs and larger tires. Are there any fixes that can help calm the steering down. I also noticed after putting the new springs on my steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn off from center.

Thanks for the help!!!!
brettntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1994 Medalist loose steering and sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettntc View Post
I recently put a set of 14" wheels with low profile tires (20" overall) on my ezgo medalist. After putting on the tires i noticed they where rubbing on the body when i would turn sharply or hit bumps so I upgraded the front springs to HD springs. The new springs fixed my issues with the tire rubbing the body but know I have noticed that the cart steering has become loose and there is alot more sway in the cart after upgrading the springs. Is this normal for HD springs and larger tires. Are there any fixes that can help calm the steering down. I also noticed after putting the new springs on my steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn off from center.

Thanks for the help!!!!
This commonly appears after putting on larger wheels/tires. The movement was already there, it just becomes more apparent after. The amount of movement is the same amount of angle, it just looks larger when what is moving is larger. This is typically caused by wear, a lack of precision in the original factory suspension components, and a lack of adjustability in golf cart suspensions in general. Golf carts are not motor vehicles, and are exempt from most motor vehicle regulations. Aftermarket components for motor vehicle suspensions are required to pass strict testing protocols.

Golf carts were designed to be very low speed vehicles. We are trying to ask more of them than they were designed to be. Raising the center of gravity, by lifting carts, results in less stability. This is all related to the physics involved. When companies market aftermarket products, they really should be offering to design in technology that increases precision, and adds new adjustability that is seriously lacking. It's not that hard to do, it's just not been demanded by regulators or buyers of aftermarket upgrades.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO