lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: trigger wire

The one I have has 4 wires. Red and black for pack voltage. The others are Green and yellow. Thought they were for the reduced voltage. One being for neg and the other for pos. Sometime when I think, I get in a lot of trouble.

Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
The one I have has 4 wires. Red and black for pack voltage. The others are Green and yellow. Thought they were for the reduced voltage. One being for neg and the other for pos. Sometime when I think, I get in a lot of trouble.

Thanks
Sonny
You are probably correct, but there should be a schematic on the bottom of it showing the nomenclature for each wire. The picture I showed you is similar to mine and just as you described. 48+/48- In and 12+/12- Out.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
I thought that the converters were always "on" when there was power to them causing a drain.
That's why people install the trigger to the key.

Where is sergio when you need him!!!

Paging Sergio, Sergio, clean up aisle 1...
Kashmir,
I love it!!
Where in the world is Sergio, or was that Mario, LOL
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just got back home from happy hour..., hey its Friday

Just about any reducer with a "trigger" wire is still always ON, just like the filter capacitors on your Controller are always ON, so should the ones inside the voltage reducer.

The trigger wire just enables the converter output, which is usually some kind of FET (transistor) in the circuit.

The idle current or no 12v load (quiescent current in electronics terminology) is usually below 0.01 amps.

If You want to switch all devices ON/OFF with the key switch with a 4 wire reducer (no trigger wire) , my recommendation is the early diagram I posted here:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...ched_setup.jpg
This will give You both "constant" and "switched" +12v for your accessories.

It also has a toggle switch to completely remove power from the reducer for the times You want to store the cart for a long period of time.

I posted another very specific diagram for a user that wanted to turn the converter +48v source on/off with the relay but I don't recommended it as it is hard on the converter filter capacitors.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is the one I used for a four wire (two input wire) converter...

yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #16
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies.
The only thing I want, is to hook two wires to the pos. and neg. of the battery pack 48 volts. I don't care if it stays on all the time.
My problem is I don't know if the other two wires should have 12 volts on both wires.
If so, is one of them a neg. and the other a pos.???(12volt).

Thanks all
Sonny

PS I asks about a blue wire on another thread. If anyone know this answer, please help. It's a factory wire with a fuse inline . I just don't want to hook it in the wrong place.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #17
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it is a 4 wire 48v-12v converter then two of the wires will be the 48v input (one positive and one negative) the other two will be the 12v output (again one positive and the other negative). Connect your 12v accessories to the two output wires using the appropriate polarity required for the accessory.

Note that, unlike a vehicle, the 12v negative of an accessory is never connected to the chassis but always goes back to the negative wire from the controller.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Exactly as yawood said, and let me offer one more suggestion. If for some odd reason there is not a schematic or polarity nomenclature on the box, just hook up the 48v side and then check the output side with a volt meter to determine 12+ & 12-.

Another suggestion is if you have several accessories to hook up, it would behoove you to run it to a fuse box/panel and install a buss bar to hook all your grounds up to or it could get really busy (messy) under there with all the wiring and individual in-line fuses you are going to have.

Best of luck on the install!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #19
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Back to my problems, or one of them.

Do I need to worry about this trigger wire thing that's on most of the wiring diagrams?? If not I'm good to go, with the exception of the blue wire that need to be hook up or I think it should. The cart still runs fine. But I have no lights.

Thanks for all the help.
sonny
Old 06-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the reducer is left on all the time as in 12v available all the time then it will bite you in 2 ways.
1. it will draw the batteries down super low sometime somewhere someday. Trust me on that - it's Murphy's law
2. it will shorten the useful life of the reducer because hey it always working, always on & always hot.

Switch them all in my opinion.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car