lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
voorhees231
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Slow battery discharge on 1981 G-1

I have a small battery discharge when I leave the battery hooked up over 3-4 days without use the cart will be dead when I go to use it. any idea's as to what could be the cause of the drain? Or how would I go about finding it? Thanks ahead of time. Newby all the way but loving tinkering with the new cart.
voorhees231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Slow battery discharge on 1981 G-1

First thing you have to do is determine if the issue is with the battery itself. When you are sure the battery is fully charged, disconnect it for your 3 or 4 days. When you are ready hook it up again and see if it's dead. If it is the problem is with your battery and not the cart.

Do have any accessories on there? Lights? Radio? Particularly with switches, like anything else they are all China made and I swear half of them are bad right out of the box. Heck, the last one I installed I could actually see that my headlights were on just a tiny bit even though the switch was off.

If you have a radio, those will draw power when off to keep the clock and station presets correct.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Easy way to figure out if it's battery or you have a draw is unhook positive battery cable and turn lights off in the shop touch the the cable.to the post and look for a spark is you see a spark then you have a draw somewhere if no spark than it's a battery issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree that if you unhook or put in a battery switch and it slowly dies you need a new battery. If it’s all good Radio’s with memory and /or bluetooth are a slow draw. A timer brake relay may draw a little. Clean connections, some dielectric grease may help but if you have a current draw can be problematic. You can always put a battery tender on your battery and it will shut off the flow before running down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
voorhees231
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies. I do think that it is my stereo that is causing the draw. When the positive terminal is hooked up, there is a spark telling me there is a draw from the cart. I will take the fuse out of the radio lead and try that for a week and see what the result is.
voorhees231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

How did you wire the stereo? there is no switched power on the g1 so I installed a toggle switch to turn my head unit on and off and I never had a drain issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha