lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
biphase
Gone Wild

Default Re: New batteries today and still the same problem!

It would be helpful to know if these PDS carts with the short run-time problem are lifted or are carrying unusually heavy loads or are driven over difficult terrain. I suspect in both cases that you are experiencing thermal shutdown of the controller even though the controller does not seem hot. This is a common issue with the PDS controller and it is exacerbated by the factors mentioned above. If you put your carts in the self-test mode and drive them until they stop, the controller should beep a code indicating the reason for the failure. The procedure for entering self-test mode is described on the decal attached to the plastic "bubble" with the tow/run switch that covers the controller.

1. Turn key OFF and put cart in NEUTRAL.
2. Toggle f/r switch from NEUTRAL to REVERSE and back to NEUTRAL five times listening
for one beep each time.
3. Wait a second to hear a confirmation beep(s) indicating that you are in test mode.
4. Drive cart as usual until it stops and listen for a combination of beeps indicating a fault
code.
5. Look up fault code on decal

The reverse beeper must operate for this test. If you have trouble getting into self-test, reset the controller by switching the tow/run to tow for a few seconds and back to run the repeat the above procedure.

If you get a thermal shutdown code, the controller can be modified to prevent it from happening again.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #22
Hi3cho
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My cart is lifted (6" rough country lift per the previous owner) with 23" tires. The previous owner, took it for a test drive and went up hills fine, not a long ride so it could have been occurring. He said it had the torque chip, I switched it out for the speed chip and still had same issue. I am thinking it has something to with the batteries since 5 are very low even after charging overnight. As I said they bounced around a little on the trailer ride home so I may have a connection issue.

If my 5 batteries are reading 5.8~ and the first battery is reading 6.2-4, would it be possible that there is a bad connection and it is somehow not charging the final 5 in the series, although I don't know if the cart would even run if that were the case. My plan is to 12v charge the batteries that are low to see if that fixes the problem. I am also going to change out with the 2 gauge battery cables when they arrive this week.

My charger is clicking on so it is so that means it is sensing enough volts to charge correct?
Hi3cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #23
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi3cho View Post
My cart is lifted...
You need to start your own thread...
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #24
Hi3cho
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
You need to start your own thread...
I was answering the question from biphase the post before mine. Or are you saying I need to start my own thread in general. Since we are both having near identical issues, I figured it would be best to consolidate info in one thread but new to this forum sure on the protocol.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
biphase
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi3cho View Post
My cart is lifted (6" rough country lift per the previous owner) with 23" tires. The previous owner, took it for a test drive and went up hills fine, not a long ride so it could have been occurring. He said it had the torque chip, I switched it out for the speed chip and still had same issue. I am thinking it has something to with the batteries since 5 are very low even after charging overnight. As I said they bounced around a little on the trailer ride home so I may have a connection issue.

If my 5 batteries are reading 5.8~ and the first battery is reading 6.2-4, would it be possible that there is a bad connection and it is somehow not charging the final 5 in the series, although I don't know if the cart would even run if that were the case. My plan is to 12v charge the batteries that are low to see if that fixes the problem. I am also going to change out with the 2 gauge battery cables when they arrive this week.

My charger is clicking on so it is so that means it is sensing enough volts to charge correct?
By all means charge the batteries first. If the charger is clicking on, you have sufficient voltage to charge. Having said that, I still suspect that you and the other poster with a similar problem are experiencing a thermal shutdown. Regardless, the self-test mode should reveal the reason for the shutdown. Run the test and report the result.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
Hi3cho
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would like to get the batteries charged up to prevent any damage and eliminate them as the issue. I do have a question about setting to test mode. I read that you do the same process to know what chip mode you are in. 4 beeps is the speed chip. Is this the same process or do I need to remove the chip or I am missing something. Thanks for the help and I will report once I get a chance to test it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #27
biphase
Gone Wild

The procedure is the same but you will get a different number of confirmation beeps depending on which "chip" you have plugged-in. You will get only one confirmation beep if no chip is plugged-in. Once you get the confirmation beep(s), you are in self-test mode.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 PM   #28
Ezgoraider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
It would be helpful to know if these PDS carts with the short run-time problem are lifted or are carrying unusually heavy loads or are driven over difficult terrain. I suspect in both cases that you are experiencing thermal shutdown of the controller even though the controller does not seem hot. This is a common issue with the PDS controller and it is exacerbated by the factors mentioned above. If you put your carts in the self-test mode and drive them until they stop, the controller should beep a code indicating the reason for the failure. The procedure for entering self-test mode is described on the decal attached to the plastic "bubble" with the tow/run switch that covers the controller.

2. Toggle f/r switch from NEUTRAL to REVERSE and back to NEUTRAL five times listening
for one beep each time.
3. Wait a second to hear a confirmation beep(s) indicating that you are in test mode.
4. Drive cart as usual until it stops and listen for a combination of beeps indicating a fault
code.

The reverse beeper must operate for this test. If you have trouble getting into self-test, reset the controller by switching the tow/run to tow for a few seconds and back to run the repeat the above procedure.

If you get a thermal shutdown code, the controller can be modified to prevent it from happening again.
The code received after about 3min of drive time was low voltage. All batteries measured 6.2.
- 6.4 after the low voltage code.
Ezgoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #29
Ezgoraider
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post

for one beep each time.
code.

Not lifted by the way and the only thing it has on it additional is a rear seat.
Ezgoraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #30
Hi3cho
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds like our issues may be a little different. I am just going to start a new thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO