lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 wont rev

So I finally got to run my cart today and it was still pretty slow. It seemed as though it would not rev to redline. I took all the mokini jets and stuff and swapped them over to the Yamaha carburetor I just got as well as dumping the old fuel and mixed up some fresh 91 gas with some Yamalube at 70:1 and it ran much better but still wouldnt rev out. I took the belt off the secondary and it would rev up to redline. My question would be is the torque spring I put in the secondary too much for my little J17? Even jacked up off the ground it still wouldnt rev out. I bbqd the muffler also. Any thoughts on the torque spring with this little motor? Thanks.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 wont rev

Took out torque spring and put in stock one. It revs to the moon now. Picked up a little more speed, maybe hit the 20mph im shooting for. Will gps tomorrow. Guess ill have to revisit the torque spring when I J10 this pig and if that dont get it done ill start cutting on the Enticer jug.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm more than interested in what you did there dezrcr.....Thats the big spring on top of the rear diff/axle right?... The one with the screw in it connected to the throttle cable?....Do tell more as I remover the adjustable threaded bolt and nut from mine and put a longer one in to give more adjustment...It made little to no difference to mine.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The spring I am refering to is the red one in the pictures. It goes between the helixes and you can see my original is a dual set up. You give up some speed and gain torque with this spring. Im not out to rotate the earth with my cart but under 12mph was not going to get it done. With the wheels off the ground it would rev only so far at wide open throttle and then flatten out and not go all the way to redline. It will now rev all the way with the original spring. Im shooting for 20mph and with the original spring and gov bypass im getting closer to achieving that. Freshening up the top end will help with that and I also have a full J10 setup I may use as well. The spring I think you are refering to is for the govenor. It is on top of the diff and has the throttle cable attached to it. I tried turing in the screw on mine and it made no difference. I bypassed the govenor altogether using a thumb screw with a hole drilled in it and relocated the cable bracket to the cooling shroud. Also visible in the bypass pic is a throttle return spring I added as I did not trust the spring on the throttle shaft to close all the way if my bypass failed. Changing from what the engineers design is always risky and I was adding an additional saftey there. Hope this helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181029_163840.jpg (147.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181029_164330.jpg (135.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20181018_192049.jpg (160.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Aha... See what what you are talking about and what you have done...i see there are two springs in the secondary clutch drive to the diff...Mine only has one...maybe thats why mine clunks at time at take off....I might try what you have done with the governor bypass even tho this girl is going quite fast at top speed...it tops at 18 mph then pulls back to about 15.5 mph..I can't drive it that speed anyway as the fairways I play golf on are as rough as guts..(try to play more like it lol)

Thx for posting those pics...I owe you a beer.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You may have an aftermarket spring in your secondary clutch already which could explain only one spring. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on that. Check to see if there is a circlip on the input shaft close to the diff case. If you have a stock spring you need this clip. Also with stock spring there is a plastic washer. Post up a pic of your secondary clutch and we can have a look. It should engage smoothly on take off with no clunking.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #7
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

sorry about the delay here...my memory...single spring...Is that normal??

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2uhvh2a&s=9

See the shiny mark on drive face thingy...looks like the nylon stoppers go all the way in.

Last edited by griffo002; 01-04-2019 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: more info..
Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo002 View Post
sorry about the delay here...my memory...single spring...Is that normal??

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2uhvh2a&s=9

See the shiny mark on drive face thingy...looks like the nylon stoppers go all the way in.
No worries, your spring looks like my original(goldish colored and dirty) but I have a thinner gague wire spring inside of my big spring where you dont(see above pic). Maybe someone took it out to gain more speed? I have a J10 carb and exhaust and with the original springs im doing 20mph on the flats and over on a downhill per gps. The shiny you see are the ramps on the clutch helix that the white shoes run on and the ramps look a little wore. When was the last time you changed your shoes? When I did new shoes I took some emery cloth and 000 steel wool and really smoothed out my ramps. Shifts great now.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #9
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hi dezrcr...I have never changer the shoes...Do they look worn to you?..I must try and locate some and fit I guess...How are they held in place ol mate...are they difficult to place?

griff.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo002 View Post
Hi dezrcr...I have never changer the shoes...Do they look worn to you?..I must try and locate some and fit I guess...How are they held in place ol mate...are they difficult to place?

griff.
I heard you can replace them in the cart but I just don't see how. there is a tool to pull secondary. on the opposite side of each shoe is a hole and you knock them out with a small punch. id suggest a small rat tail (round) file to help clean the holes out. I think that's where I had difficulties. I was also told the G2 shoes (they are black) are a better fit as they are not as long but I have yet to verify this but plan on it with my j10. either way this is a good time to service the secondary.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha