lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Carts on but will not move

The caps pull out. They have a float attached. The float is supposed to shut off water from the fill tubing when fluid in cell is at proper level, but the floats have a bad habit of sticking.

Attached is a Voltage vs SoC (State of Charge) chart for Trojan brand batteries. Voltage is take 12 hours after charger shuts off.

At 36.8V, your batteries are only a bit over 60% charged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a picture that shows the cap out of the cell, plus a few more showing the chain-fires that can happen when the batteries are connected together with tubing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-1.jpg (79.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-2.jpg (165.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-5.jpg (212.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exploded batteries - Chain Fire-6.jpg (94.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I dunno what the white wire is for, but it should not be connected to the main fuse. That fuse has a higher melt point than the wire does. That's also not the intended purpose or placement for that fuse. That is the main power fuse for the Alltrax controller, and is supposed to go inline with the main power supply going to the solenoid.

The best place to mount it is on the main Positive to the solenoid. It should not be mounted to the battery, because it will corrode and that will cause problems later on. Those fuses are about $35 each.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That white wire is from the charge receptacle and is often connected to the main positive terminal via a 50A or 60A fuse. I can't read the ampacity of the fuse in the picture, so it might be a ANN250 or ANN400 instead of a ANN60. (ANN fuses are available from 10A thru 800A)

As for the the placement of the high current fuse, I put it on the controller's B- terminal when I was running a DCX controller, but the solenoid's battery side large terminal is a good spot also.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #15
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

With the XCT, if the solenoid clicks but doesn't make good contact internally it will throw the low voltage code you're getting. There's sadly no specific error for 'failed solenoid that still clicks'
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
With the XCT, if the solenoid clicks but doesn't make good contact internally it will throw the low voltage code you're getting. There's sadly no specific error for 'failed solenoid that still clicks'
The trick to using error codes as a troubleshooting tool is the understanding of what criteria triggers the error code. The low voltage error is triggered when the voltage on the XCT's B+ terminal is lower than the voltage the Under Voltage slider is set to when the solenoid contact are supposed to be closed and there are several sets of circumstances where those conditions can exist.

Without external sensors or test leads, I cannot think of any way to specifically identify a 'failed solenoid that still clicks' error, but it would be nice if the CPU could identify specific failures.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #17
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Club cars and Curtis RXVs have specific codes:

MAIN DROPOUT

SOLENOID WELDED

MAIN CONTACTOR DID NOT CLOSE

While a controller as advanced as an Alltrax XCT just has one generic error that's 90% incorrect. "Battery under voltage". You'd think the manual would at least suggest the solenoid could be a culprit but it just assumes batteries are the issue.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

MAIN CONTACTOR DID NOT CLOSE could also mean the solenoid coil is bad or the coil driver in the controller is bad or the pedal switch is bad.

I agree the "were to look - what to check" statements associated with the error code could be a lot better, but I also know that tech writers rarely talk to the engineers that defined the error flag criteria and a lot of pertinent information is consigned to the editor's wastebasket.

Having verified and validated some service manuals for some communications systems for DoD, I suspect I read between the lines more and not as upset by their shortcomings.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #19
beanman
Not Yet Wild

I got the Alltrax software see photo. The Solenoid isn’t clicking any more. I believe isn’t faulty I’m going to replace it hopefully that fixes it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alltrax.jpg (95.4 KB, 0 views)
beanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #20
beanman
Not Yet Wild

Could I put my stock solenoid back on to test?
beanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO