lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
97fordman
Getting Wild

I put these push pins in they hold very tight no rattle. I figure if ford and gm can use them to hold fenders radiator guards and such on there vehicles they should surely hold my dash on.
97fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
ETpilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rivets, rivets and more rivets! Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
All good ideas so far.....I would think that the Nutsert has potential where there's a metal backing to insert it. The cowl is plastic however and I'm not sure if they'd cinch up tight given the thickness (or the thiness) of the plastic lip.

I was at Harbor yesterday and was looking for the nutserts and a tool but didn't find it at my local store...
I'll have to look online to see what they have available.
The aircraft quality rivnuts are keyless and keyed. The key keeps them from rotating. They also come in different grip range.

Nutserts have little splines to prevent rotation.

I have used them in metal and plastic.

Here is some info on both types.

Rivnuts

Nutserts

The down side is finding a reasonably priced tool. Aircraft tools tend to be expensive. Finding one from a tool retailer may be better. The HF tool came with about 4 interchangable heads.

I'll be going to HF tomorrow and will check on the tool. I got mine a long time ago. Not sure if they still carry it.
ETpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETpilot View Post
The aircraft quality rivnuts are keyless and keyed. The key keeps them from rotating. They also come in different grip range.

Nutserts have little splines to prevent rotation.

I have used them in metal and plastic.

Here is some info on both types.

Rivnuts

Nutserts

The down side is finding a reasonably priced tool. Aircraft tools tend to be expensive. Finding one from a tool retailer may be better. The HF tool came with about 4 interchangable heads.

I'll be going to HF tomorrow and will check on the tool. I got mine a long time ago. Not sure if they still carry it.
Thanks. I'll be interested in your opinion on the HF tool.....Personally I would be satisfied with a tool that would get me through one body install, no more....If I get more then that's sweet icing.......
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would go back with the rivets. If you only plan on once, why does it matter ?? The full body rivet kit from EZ parts is less than $14
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I would go back with the rivets. If you only plan on once, why does it matter ?? The full body rivet kit from EZ parts is less than $14
I don't only plan on once.....I want to access all parts of the cart as necessary in the future without drilling out any rivets.

What I meant was that the tool needs only to get me through an install on one cart and once I get through that one fastener install then I can remove the body panels any time I want, assuming that they're held in place by SS screws inserted into mating fasteners such as Rivuts/Nutserts......

I wouldn't need the tool beyond that..........
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Why reinvent the wheel here ? Ezgo carts are made with rivets ~ so are airplanes.... I don't see the big problem. Rivets, rivets, rivets? I can hold them all in one hand ???? Takes 15 minutes to put a body on or take one off.... sheesh
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
I don't only plan on once.....I want to access all parts of the cart as necessary in the future without drilling out any rivets.

What I meant was that the tool needs only to get me through an install on one cart and once I get through that one fastener install then I can remove the body panels any time I want, assuming that they're held in place by SS screws inserted into mating fasteners such as Rivuts/Nutserts......

I wouldn't need the tool beyond that..........
OK I get it now. One problem I see though is the serts will have a flange correct ? and this will be between the cowl and the dash correct ? Not trying to rain on the parade but would this look right ?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
OK I get it now. One problem I see though is the serts will have a flange correct ? and this will be between the cowl and the dash correct ? Not trying to rain on the parade but would this look right ?
No, it won't look right....There are other alternatives to using "serts" in areas such as the cowl rim around the dash. I plan on using the push rivets for that area but the "certs" can surely be used elsewhere.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
No, it won't look right....There are other alternatives to using "serts" in areas such as the cowl rim around the dash. I plan on using the push rivets for that area but the "certs" can surely be used elsewhere.
I completely agree. I am just too lazy I guess and I have access to the rivets I need
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #20
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Why reinvent the wheel here ? Ezgo carts are made with rivets ~ so are airplanes.... I don't see the big problem. Rivets, rivets, rivets? I can hold them all in one hand ???? Takes 15 minutes to put a body on or take one off.... sheesh
Maybe it takes you 15 minutes scottyb but it took me a bit longer on the SS rivets. I had to use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a cross in each head and then a chisel to break the heads off. This was only after I realized how hard they were and partially melting the flange on the front cowl from the heat.

If you're doing this on a daily basis and it's how you make your living I suppose it's not a problem for you probably have a routine and "process" but I do neither.......

I do plan on removing the body panels in the future, especially behind the dash, and don't want to have to drill out all those rivets again........
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO