lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
doclomlom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 93 CC 36v electrical fire, problems now

While driving my 93 CC 36v today, we had an electrical fire and needless to say we now have some problems. I'd be grateful for some diagnostic insight!

The cart had been driven steady for at least 20 minutes, and my son smelled something burning, and threw dirt on the fire to put it out. Fortunately he had the frame of mind to shut off the key and put it in neutral. When I got there it was out, with no apparent damage, and after cooling (I disconnected the batteries) I was able to drive it home, only about one minute away. So here is what I have determined:

The arcing flame was coming from the back of the swivel P-N-R switch, specifically behind where the black terminal connects (the passenger side). All the batteries seem fine, all 6.2 volts, with clean posts and good cables. I removed the two cables that connect to the rear swivel part of the switch (the ones that move as you change from F to R) and cleaned them.
When I reconnected the main batteries, the arc still occurs when you move the FNR toggle, but only at a specific spot. You can fully engage F or R, but it arcs when you switch back and forth. The cart will drive (I only went a few feet) but it moves both F & R very slowly soon as you engage the direction switch, and the coils at the rear (between the batteries and the motor) get VERY hot very quickly. It will accelerate with the pedal, but will not coast to a stop, it keeps going forward slowly.

I will try to upload a picture that might help.

Please help! I will answer any questions I can. Thanks in advance!!

Also, there is no apparent damage visible, the flames seem to have been entirely electrical with nothing visibly burned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7985 forum.jpg (113.9 KB, 37 views)
doclomlom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
doclomlom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 93 CC 36v electrical fire, problems now

In the picture, the arrow on the left is where the flame was; the arrows on the right are is where it gets really hot.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i think the smartest thing would be to replace the F&R switch for sure.....and it sounds like the soleniod is staying engaged......that might be because of the switch ( not sure ) but wouldn,t hurt to have one handy in case you need it.........as for what caused it?? could have just been its time.......i think a switch and a soleniod would take care of it.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I see a Vglide in the lower left hand corner. I would pull the cover and the nearest battery for access and inspect the contacts as well as what Tom says about a new F&R and possible solenoid
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
doclomlom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK, Thanks. Not to sound too stupid, but what is a V Glide? I read about them in the forum, but don't know what it is. I'm guessing by Scottyb that it's that semicircular thing that has a lot of cables heading to it! And, dumb question #2, where is the solenoid? I'm pretty sure the little bit I did drive it, it either was clicking very quietly or not at all. I'm also assuming that's a fuse we see behind the charger plug connector, is it only for the charger? If not, why didn't it blow?

Thanks again guys.

PS - most of the sand you see if what my son threw on it to put the flame out! I cleaned most of it off.

Last edited by doclomlom; 08-06-2011 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: added more info
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes the V-glide is the pie shaped black box by the front left batteries.....it opens and there is a moveable wiper arm and a set of copper shoes that the arm slides across as you push pedal for speed.........you want that all in good clean condition...........the soleniod if its a single soleniod cart with a set of resistor coils will be center front down between the batteries it has two 6 gage cables mounted to it and several 14 gage or so wires mounted to it..........there should also be a single microswitch in the V-glide so when you do open it might not be a bad idea to replace it......its only a few bucks..............when you do start to work on it make sure you disconnect main power to cart.............its easier to take the cover off the V-glide if you take the battery out and it gives you more room to work...........good luck and keep us posted we are here to help.......................
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
doclomlom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom, that's great information. I've been trying to learn as much as I can!

Here's the latest. Today I hooked up the batteries, and turned the key to ON, and just waited. Took about 30 seconds and I had nice electrical flames coming from the F&R switch, so after a pit of panic I quickly undid the main battery terminals and it went out. I'm wishing I had waited a bit to turn on the key to see if it would have happened even with the key off. So I have removed the switch, took apart the rocker, and attached a photo for you -- clearly shows the 'neutral' contacts burned out. Also identified the solenoid and v-glide, but I think I will get a new switch and see what happens. Still not sure why I had the slight acceleration though as described above.

This forum is great, tonnes of good information. Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo forum .jpg (110.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclomlom View Post
Thanks Tom, that's great information. I've been trying to learn as much as I can!

Here's the latest. Today I hooked up the batteries, and turned the key to ON, and just waited. Took about 30 seconds and I had nice electrical flames coming from the F&R switch, so after a pit of panic I quickly undid the main battery terminals and it went out. I'm wishing I had waited a bit to turn on the key to see if it would have happened even with the key off. So I have removed the switch, took apart the rocker, and attached a photo for you -- clearly shows the 'neutral' contacts burned out. Also identified the solenoid and v-glide, but I think I will get a new switch and see what happens. Still not sure why I had the slight acceleration though as described above.

This forum is great, tonnes of good information. Thanks!!
My guess is melted Vglide contacts. Replace the f&r and chance melting down the new one as well You need to check Solenoid function and V glide... Don't ***** foot around with a partial repair it will cost you more in the long run.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
doclomlom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scottyb -- how do I check the solenoid with everything uhhooked? Also, the v-glide -- I assume it can be checked visually for any damage? Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yeah your F&R is toast so replace that and yes you can inspect at the V-glide the front cover comes off but you,ll have to remove a battery......................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car