lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Does Power Drive charger equalize?

Have a 99 CC DS and the original power drive charger. Does this charger have the capability to perform an EQ charge? If not, will plugging the charger back up after the pack is charged perform any length of charge that would be an EQ?
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Does Power Drive charger equalize?

i think the last stage of the charge thats what it does........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Have a 99 CC DS and the original power drive charger. Does this charger have the capability to perform an EQ charge? If not, will plugging the charger back up after the pack is charged perform any length of charge that would be an EQ?
It does have an equalization function, when doing so the ammeter will be at about 1 amp and can stay there for a couple of hours. You will also hear the batteries bubbleing away merrily.It should only perform this function when the batteries get out of balance with each other. Not sure how its brain works but on mine if I disconnect the batteries for mainenance and discharge the capacitor (effectively resetting the OBC) it does an equalization charge when reconnected.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
SEHunter
Gone Wild

hmm. ok. I really wish i had a charger with a manual equalize button. the pack is out of balance and i have adjusted the acid once. the charger will stay on about 12 minutes each time i plug it back up after it shuts off. i did that about 5 or 6 times last night and at the end of each short charge, the voltage and gravity continue to rise on the weaker batteries while the stronger batteries pretty much stay where they are at.

A true equalize charge is 2-3 hours on charge at the finish rate after the gravity has no increase. I wish i could sell this charger and find one that is not controlled by the carts OBC and that has an EQ button.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
hmm. ok. I really wish i had a charger with a manual equalize button. the pack is out of balance and i have adjusted the acid once. the charger will stay on about 12 minutes each time i plug it back up after it shuts off. i did that about 5 or 6 times last night and at the end of each short charge, the voltage and gravity continue to rise on the weaker batteries while the stronger batteries pretty much stay where they are at.

A true equalize charge is 2-3 hours on charge at the finish rate after the gravity has no increase. I wish i could sell this charger and find one that is not controlled by the carts OBC and that has an EQ button.
You can try to hook a 12v battery charger to the weaker batteries first to bring them up to the level of the others. Then hook up your charger as normal and let it run it's course. This way you will have all the batteries on the same level from the start.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:

they do sell a charger with that specific function..........................
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:

Batteries that are wearing out will not equalize to the exact same volts.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
You can try to hook a 12v battery charger to the weaker batteries first to bring them up to the level of the others. Then hook up your charger as normal and let it run it's course. This way you will have all the batteries on the same level from the start.
wish i could but i have 8 volt batteries
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
they do sell a charger with that specific function..........................
do you have a link for one? is it a Lester?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

just sent you a PM.....................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car