lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
chrism
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default batteries

I need to buy new batteries again only after 3 years. Which ones are the best? I dont want deka again. Any help would be great. They are going in a 2004 ezgo with lift and 22" tires. Thanks
chrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: batteries

US battery is beginnning to hang with trojan's. CC and yamaha are going US if not already. rumored has it that BBB is going US within 2 yrs.

I personally think that the Trojan quality has wnet way down in last 2-3 yrs.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I just put CR225 in my wife's cart. Crown makes a good battery.
Size is as important as brand.
You may have had the smaller G10 model, that would contribute to the short useful life of your Deka batts also.
Do your homework, go for size ( amp hour capacity and weight) Then you won't get caught making a trend purchase.
My T145 batteries are going great guns in my hopped up electric cart too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All the major cart battery manufacturers produce more than one grade of batteries.
Exide has 3,
Deka & Trojan have 4
Crown & Interstate & US Battery have 5

A 225AH battery is the standard battery found in stock carts that carry two people and two set of clubs on the groomed cart trails of golf courses.
If you do more than that with your cart, install higher Amp Hour batteries or accept replacing the batteries more often.

Also, keeping your batteries charged to the highest average State of Charge that is possible or practical will give you the longest useable battery life.

Picking batteries with a high enough Amp Hour rating for your application and keeping them charged, is probably more important than the brand name.
Since 22" tires will draw more amps during acceleration and going up hills, I believe your batteries should have more than a 225AH rating.

In a nutshell, buy the highest AH batteries you can afford, charge them fully before the first use, break them in properly to obtain the maximum storage capacity, keep them charged and service them at least monthly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
chrism
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like biger is better. My cart came with trojan t105 in it and they lasted 6yrs. I like trojan batteries but dont have but one dealer in my area and they sell only t605.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Even a Deka GC10 has more AH than a T-605. (215AH vs 210AH)

I'm not bad-mouthing Trojan or glorifying Deka.
Nor do I trust the AH and Run-Time specs published by any of the battery manufacturers 100% since different test methods and test equipment are used.
AH and Run-Time can be used to compare the different grades of batteries produced by the same manufacturer, but between brands, small differences are probably meaningless.
Of the three specs commonly used for comparison (AH @ 20Hr rate, Minutes @ 75A and weight), weight is probably the most difficult for the manufacturer to shade in their favor.

My next set of batteries will be a step up, or maybe two, from the standard 225AH and most likely be the brand that I can have setting in my cart for the least expense, including shipping and tax.

It takes a bit of research to find out the most cost effective batteries for your cart because prices and availability vary by location, but it is worth the effort.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
chrism
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

well i have a dealer trying to sell me 6 u.s. battery brand model us145xc. i have never used them. any input on them? they are 3/4" taller will that hurt?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not at ALL! I use 8 of the T145 in my cart, The capacity is larger and the seat still shuts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
chrism
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks scottyb.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

those are basically the same size as a trojan t145. I just put 8 of those in a 06 BBB.

And yes the NEW Bad Boy Buggies have US batteries in them. I got the US 145 cheaper than the Trojan 145. By $55 each.

go for the US.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO