lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
DAmy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Speed Sensor

Back in January this year, our 2004 EZGO Electric started to go very slow. I took it to a repair shop where they reportedly replaced the Speed Sensor, Magnet, and Clip. Now it is doing the same thing again, starts fast and immediately slows to a crawl. In reviewing other posts on Speed Sensors it appears to me to be the same problem and I am mechanically enough inclined to replace it myself. When I get to the Speed Sensor (I haven't pulled it yet) it rotates and twists in place (clip is locked in the groove).
This is my question: is it supposed to rotate and turn?
Since it is reading the magnet attached to the motor shaft wouldn't this impact its performance.
Thanks for any info.
DAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed Sensor

I've never tried to rotate the speed sensor in my cart, so I'm not sure if it moves or not, but I don't think it would matter if it did.

There are a couple things that will cause a PDS cart to run slow, so put the controller in Diagnostic mode and listen to the beep code.
Here is the label in an easy to read format.
How to get into Diagnostic mode is spelled out at bottom.

The speed sensor assembly consists of a disk with eight evenly space magnets attached to armature shaft and the pick-up disc you are wonder if it should move or not.
If the magnet disk isn't screwed onto the motor shaft tightly, it could be slipping and cause the symptoms described.
There are two clip rings, one you can see and the other on the other side of the sensor disk. If either is out of the groove, the spacing between the magnets and the pick-up will be wrong and may cause the same symptoms.

When working properly, the speed sensor assembly puts out eight pulses every time the motor shaft revolves once.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
DAmy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed Sensor

It certainly helps. Thanks for the help and advice. Much appreciated.
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
DAmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez go, magnet, speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO