lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 Elec Ezgo PDS Won't move

Hi, I have a 2004 EZGO PDS electric golf cart. The other day it just stopped moving. You can press the accelerator down, to no avail.

I replaced the solenoid, as the old one was not clicking when engaging the accelerator. Now it clicks, but no movement.

The batteries show 42.1v (36v system). The battery side of the solenoid shows 42.1v and the other side shows 41.5. I tested the controller on the voltage meter with neg on M1 and Pos on B+. Without the pedal engaged, it shows about 35 volts. Once the pedal is engaged, it shows 42.1v for a few seconds, then drops back down to about 35v.

If you can point me in the right direction here on how to diagnose this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
mdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 Elec Ezgo PDS Won't move

Welcome to BGW!

If the solenoid clicks when pedal is pushed, connect your DVM between the B- and A1 terminals on the controller.

Push pedal just far enough for solenoid to click and you should read FULL battery pack voltage.
If so, push pedal slowly to floor and voltage should smoothly decrease to zero.

Let us know what you get.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help JohnnieB!

So, with B- and A1 terminals on the controller, I get 6.4v DC to start. Once the pedal is slightly pressed (solenoid clicks), it goes to 1.2v DC and as the pedal is press more to the floor, it goes to zero. Then it returns back to 6.5v DC after the pedal is released.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You have an open, or more correctly - very high resistance, some where in the high current loop.

You get pack voltage when you measure between the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery pack, so the problem is one of the cables highlighted in Red or Blue, or their connections, or the motor (Armature/Brushes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - High current traced.JPG (65.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB, you're awesome!!!

I will check the cables and connections that you have highlighted. We did hear an intermittent grinding sound coming from the back when driving up hill, a few weeks prior to the issue. It's good to be able to rule out the controller.

Thanks again, you have been a huge help!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
mdavey
Not Yet Wild

So, I checked all the wires you high lighted, everything looks good. I guess the next step is to rebuild or replace the motor. Are these motors worth rebuilding or would you recommend just replacing them. Also is there anyone you would recommend buying one through?

Thanks again JohnnieB!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the resistor across the solenoid , remove it and see if it moves
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Rebuild or Replace? That depends on what you plan to do with the cart.

For a rebuild with some performance tweaking, send the motor to Plum Quick: http://www.plumquick.com/

For a replacement I prefer D&D: http://www.ddmotorsystems.com/

The trick is to plan ahead and repair/replace things that fail now with the stuff that you think you will be happy with in the future.

Tags
2004, ezgo, won't move
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO