lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
BluffEZGO
Not Yet Wild

Default Need new shocks!

I have a 1996 EZ GO TXT that I bought a few years back. It is already lifted (not sure of size lift, but I would say about 6" lift) with 22x11x10 tires. The cart is leaning towards the drivers side. I have read on many threads here that to fix this, its best to replace front and rear shocks. My problem is that I can't find any where on here what size shocks to use. Is it better/possible to go with stock shocks or aftermarket shocks that are stronger? Please help!
BluffEZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need new shocks!

The most common cause are the springs, not the shocks. The springs need to be replaced as a matched set. To fix the lean you need rear springs, and I would suggest heavy duty springs if you have a rear seat.
Bob-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
BluffEZGO
Not Yet Wild

Where do you suggest getting them from? Even though I have had the cart for a few years, I haven't had to make any repairs to it (luckily). I am fairly new at the customizing/repair aspect of golf carts.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

here is the Monroe shock length and style pdf. OReilly auto parts uses the same part number

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1383610320
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluffEZGO View Post
Where do you suggest getting them from? Even though I have had the cart for a few years, I haven't had to make any repairs to it (luckily). I am fairly new at the customizing/repair aspect of golf carts.
Go to www.shopezgo.com and you can find the springs there.

If you don't have a fluid seepage from the shocks, you'll waste money buying them. Look at the rear shackles and if the drivers side is bent back that is clue #1. If the spring is not bowed or if it bows upward in the middle that is the second clue.

Springs should be replaced as a matched pair. If not then once one spring is replaced the other side will sag as that spring is worn as well but not as much as the one spring you just replaced.... So you end up with a new spring and the car leaning to the other side. This is why I recommend replacing both springs.

You may even want to look at the front spring as well. I have seen older cars that sagg to one side because both the front and rear springs are worn. Same thing with those... If one needs to be replaced it's best to replace them as a set.

Also you will need to replace the bushings.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
BluffEZGO
Not Yet Wild

Bob-O.... Thanks for the great advice!!! I went and checked on some rear leaf springs at my local agri supply today ($15.99 each and rated for 1000lbs). I found on BGW that the one's to fit my cart are 27" center to center of the eyes. Is that correct? If these are the correct leafs, I plan on replacing them this weekend.

I don't have any leakage out of my shocks at this time, just very rusted and old. That replacement is more cosmetic than anything. Those will just have to wait.

Also, Bob-O, I have been researching on here about a cart wobble. My cart wobbled at a certain speed. The faster I got, the worse the wobble got until i reached top speed and then it seemed to die down a little, but still wobbled. A few months ago I bought a used set of tires and wheels, got a very good deal on them (thinking a wheel or tire was out of round on the old set). BUT unfortunately, with the new wheels and tires on it, the wobble is still present. I have adjusted air pressure, switched tires around, etc. with no resolution. Only other problem causing this that I have read or can think of is the front wheel hubs are going bad and causing the wobble. Or I just have terrible luck and got two sets of wheels and tires that are out of round! LOL.

Thanks for any information. I have had this cart for a few years and just decided to start replacing here and there.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Bob-0
Gone Wild

That length will work. I would get them from E-Z-GO because that takes out any guesswork, same with the bushing.

The wobble is from play in your steering linkage. First star by greasing all 7 joints. As that style front end wears it gets some play in joints. Usually from the main joint (big, round, silver joint in the middle). The tires would only have a small effect.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't recommend the trailer springs,they are quite a bit thicker leafs,it will ride very stiff and bouncy.Get the replacement HD springs for the cart,and also ck the fronts.If you look where the leafs overlap,the distance should be equal,if not,replace the rears,recheck the front,then replace them if it still leans.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, don't do the trailer springs. I did on my inlaws EZGO. These are 1,000 pound or 1,200 pound springs, can't remember. We took out the middle leaf on each spring and it is still WAY stiff. It did raise the cart about an inch, but the ride suffered.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
BluffEZGO
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-0 View Post
That length will work. I would get them from E-Z-GO because that takes out any guesswork, same with the bushing.

The wobble is from play in your steering linkage. First star by greasing all 7 joints. As that style front end wears it gets some play in joints. Usually from the main joint (big, round, silver joint in the middle). The tires would only have a small effect.
Thanks again Bob-O... I appreciate the info on the wobble problem... That is alot better news than what I had self diagnosed it to be (hubs or tires/wheels)... IF greasing the all points doesn't take out the wobble problem, what would you do next? Just replace the steering linkage?

Thanks again bud... I really appreciate all ya help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO