lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: HELP solve my runtime issue!!

Here are some observations that might point you in the right direction.
First the D&D motor is 11.4 HP that means in order to run that motor it takes 8500 watts.
Your battery capacity. 170 AH is equal to 8.670 KwH. Pack voltage X Ah of battery.
At that rate you wouldn't be able to run your cart for 30 min before you are down to 50% SOC.
My suggestion upgrade to the largest AH battery you can find
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Huntingcartdude
Not Yet Wild

Wow JJance that is very interesting info! My friend has 175 ah batteries with same cart and runs an AMD 7177 motor (http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/mot-7177.htm). He seems to get very good run time and torque. Would this be a much better option for those batteries I have than the D&D i currently have? Im thinking of selling the D&D over changing batteries.

Also is there any harm in running my stock motor with the high amp controller and big tires? It seems to run pretty good and doesn't lack power!
Huntingcartdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Huntingcartdude I think that replacing your motor with the 5hp would be your best option. There would be very little difference between 170ah and 175ah batterys. Startup of an electric motor takes a lot of starting current. You've probably heard the tales about train locomotives taking 50,000 amps to start. So your cart will take the max the controller will put out to start but as soon as it is up to speed it will drop to 100amps for a 5 hp motor. Hope this helps

PS I'd stick with the 500 amp controller for now
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Huntingcartdude
Not Yet Wild

Regarding how you figured out the run time... I understand how you got the watts to run the motor also understand how you calculated kWh but how did you calculate run time with that info? Pretty neat! Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

To calculate battery capacity
Multiply the AH rating by fully charged battery pack voltage=51volts
that comes out to 8670 watts. 8.670 KwH is the total amount of energy in the battery pack
To calculate the amount of energy the motor uses:
To convert hp to watts multiply 746 by the HP rating of your motor which in your cas is 11.4 and that equals 8500 watts
Now divide 8670 by 8500 That give a run time of 1.02hrs.
But thats running them down to nothing 0%SOC
Best to stop at 50% state of charge and that would give you 30 minutes run time
But still that isn't accurate every time you stop and restart the motor the controller sends full power to the motor. (500amps) until it is up to speed. No longer accelerating.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Huntingcartdude
Not Yet Wild

that is some good info got it!! Does the amperage affect run time also. Meaning would a 700 amp controller kill battery quicker than 500?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, not by itself, it would allow you to allow the motor to draw more amperage faster...

Think of the controller as a gate valve in a water delivery system. The bigger the valve the more water ( amperage) you can draw through the pipes (cables)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

A 700 amp controller would be overkill, in my opinion. I was just researching a controller the other day at ScottyB's web site. He got a lot of good information. His recommendations are 400A for streets and paved lots and 500A for off road It only uses the full output of the controller until it gets up to speed, probably 10-15 secs but it still puts extra drain on the battery.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Motor hp rating doesn't mean it's going to run at that power dissipation! Ignore this calculation! HP dissipation has much more to do with the driving conditions that it does with the motor's rated HP.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was only concerned with two conditions starting and up to full speed. If you want the rest of the conditions here they are. With half throttle you use half the current draw of full throttle. Setting at a stop sign you use no current. (maybe a little for the field current) if you need any more reading in between you can interpolate them for your self because there is an infinite number of possibilities.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car