lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Sandpro
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 TXT Rebuild - Engine/Trans Question

I have a 1998 TXT electric that my kids and I would like to rebuild. I have it down to frame and doing some rust repair. According to previous owner, it hasn't been run in 10 years. What are my first steps with engine and trans? My thought was drain trans and refill or should I drop pan and clean out. The engine sounds like a bearing is out, so take apart and replace bearings, bushing and seals? Anything I should check first before going through all that?Just don't want to miss something.Thanks, been waiting to try this for a couple years and my kids are excited.
Sandpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 TXT Rebuild - Engine/Trans Question

Sandpro, I think you got a few of us confused......you said you got an ELCECTIC cart.....then you tell us you want o rebuild the "ENGINE and TRANS"?? and electric cart doesn't have either of those. OR are you talking about the Motor and Differential? if so, when it comes to the Diff. with a cart that old, and you don't know its true history, drop the pan and clean it out then refill it. for the motor, it sounds like its time to either rebuild it or even upgrade it.

oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Sandpro
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sir Nuke. My apologies for my brain thinking auto rebuilds! Does the pan require a gasket and what type of oil? Best place for a TXT repair manual? We are going to try and repair as much as possible so the kids can learn a little something and get away from their phones! Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

TXT manuals can be found in the sticky threads at the top of the EZGO Electric page. The differential pan just uses black RTV silicone for a gasket.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

No it doesn't.....just some good ol' silicone......as far as oil goes.....the manuals say regular 30 wt motor oil.....most of us run 75-90 wt gear oil, and some of us even put in a little STP.

as far as a manual......you can find them all at the top of this section in the "sticky's". There is both owners manuals. and maintenance manuals there.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check out this link: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...service-2.html

Start on page two, post #17.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Sandpro
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for the great info! Look forward to posting pics along the way!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The attached manual might be better for a 1998 TXT.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Sandpro
Not Yet Wild

Been happy with progress. New suspension, serviced differential, good batteries and now.....motor will not turn. Voltage looks good and tried to lift rear wheels and use an extra battery but still nothing! Is it toast? Or do I take motor apart and check something else? Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

First we need to identify which drive system you have. A 98 TXT came with either a series wound motor or a sepex (SEParately EXcited - aka shunt wound) motor and the controllers and wiring are different, so we need to be on the same page to troubleshoot.

Use the attached guide to identify which drive system is in your cart and we'll go from there.

-----------
FWIW: The mechanism between the motor and axles has both reduction gears and a differential cluster, so it is actually a transaxle, but it is usually referred to as a differential in golf cart jargon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO