lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 parcar starting to have total loss of power more frequently when driving

I have owned this car for about 18 months (6ED-35261-E5).
Put new batteries in it at that time. For the first 6 months or so all was good.
Then sometimes after driving it for a mile and stopping for 5-10 minutes (walking dogs) then turning it back on and driving away it might go 50' or 75' before losing power and the back wheels lock up leaving skid marks. Put in neutral and turn key off. Wait a few seconds then turn key ON, if all was good you would hear the contactor click once then could select drive and sometimes continue the drive without a repeat failure. Other times when turning key ON you would hear contactor click twice which results in no drive function. If you put in drive and press pedal the power meter would then show *******
The best bet seemed to be waiting about 5 minutes and trying again.
It is starting have this problem more frequently and seems to require shorter distances before locking up. The other day it failed first try coming out of the garage for first trip of the day.
I pulled the contactor out and opened the top to file the points smooth. There was a little metal transfer between them, but I've seen worse on older automobiles. Took it out for a drive after that and had re-start issues on 3 consecutive test stops.
Looking for guidance on what to check, I have multi-meter and tools. Hate to start replacing parts as a guess. Local ParCar dealer wants $114 just for a new contactor.
ParCarWoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2006 parcar starting to have total loss of power more frequently when driving

My next thought for a test would be to bypass the contactor by connecting both cable leads from the top of the contactor directly to each other using a nut & bolt. Other than probably having a nice big spark when touching them together, I am thinking this would bypass both the key switch and the contactor to test if either of those components are the issue.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2006 parcar starting to have total loss of power more frequently when driving

Trying this did not allow the forward - reverse selection to operate.
Any suggestions on what to troubleshoot?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 parcar starting to have total loss of power more frequently when driving

The controller on this car is labelled PRO-99050, serial # 2005021129
Driving it 2 days ago it locked up going down the road. Leaving the key on and in Forward, the controller was flashing 10 times, pausing and repeating.
Later that day after stopping for a few minutes, when I turned it back on the contactor clicked twice so looking at the controller it was blinking 8 times, pausing and repeating.
Any feedback on what these codes are indicating?
Did I read somewhere in another discussion that the Pro controller is not a good version to own?

Last edited by ParCarWoes; 03-03-2017 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

We had several days above 90F.
Two days in a row when warm I could go to the garage and turn the key on and the contactor would click twice on the first try. Both times the Pro sevcon was flashing 10 times and repeating.
Any chance the heat sink of the sevcon could be repaired?
Talking to myself?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

I contacted a repair company for controllers and they said the Sevcon Pro was unique to Par Car and can't be repaired.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I would go to the Columbia Par Car website...they have an email address to Tech services...drop them an email about the controller codes and ask them if the controller can be repaired at the factory. searc Sevcon Pro on Google...it pops up the guide to the controller led lights fault codes.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Cant be reapaired-Its a Potted controller
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The PRO controller was a version we saw problems with after several years. One would be similar to what you described, lifting your foot off accelerator and being thrown about through the windshield.

The contactor takes it commands from the controller, so it's probably safe to not worry about that. If the coil measures between 150-250 ohms, and the contacts measure infinite on open and 0 on closed, it's fine.

A new controller is a Sevcon 633T45319.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
ParCarWoes
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the additional info.
I usually hang onto the wheel fairly tight and have my left foot braced against the floorboard so I don't get thrown too far.
Lately I have been using partial throttle and it doesn't happen very often.
Hopefully later this month I will be able to buy a new controller (new found $$).
Is it the controller itself that would be modified for additional speed? Might be worth the upgrade.
It usually gives 10 flashes when it fails (most likely from overheat).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar