lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Electric Cart Motor Stuck on the Spline Shaft

Trying to put a new motor on a electric 1994 Club Car Trans-Sender cart but the motor is stuck on the spline shaft. I finally pried the old motor case off, but the armature is still stuck on the spline shaft and shows no signs of letting go.

Does anyone have any tricks? I've sprayed some WD 40 on the shaft and tapped the back end with a hammer some trying to vibrate the WD40 into the splines. I'm afraid to pry too hard as I fear the trans-axle housing isn't too strong. Heat is the only other thing to try. I have some heat guns at work, I'll try that tomorrow. Or, should I wrap the whole armature in a heating pad and let it sit for a couple of hours? Only other thing is to take a Sawzall to it and then a gear puller once the armatures are cut off. Sounds like a horrible amount of work. There must be a better way. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Electric Cart Motor Stuck on the Spline Shaft

I had to remove the axle, turn the axle up on its end with the motor down, pick the whole thing up as high as I could, and drop to the ground. Repeat as needed. It will eventually come off. If you don't care about the armature, you can do this on concrete. Otherwise, it's best to do on grass. Oh, and I left the tires/wheels on the axle so that I didn't ruin the wheel studs. When replacing, use anti-seize.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, FSU1tm. That has crossed my mind, but I sure hate to go that far. But, the bottom line is . . . it's gotta come off.

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-12-2020, 04:04 AM   #4
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWnmfVkLIo
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
It's more work pulling the rear end, but sometimes it's the only way
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
space
Not Yet Wild

Good luck OP, I'm going thru this right now as well. Mine is a hurricane flooded cart and I've heard those can be tougher to get broke free.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Guys! So, far it ain't budging. I've resorted to heat. I put some ratcheting tie down straps on it to apply tension. I've gone through a can of WD40. I've tapped on the end of the armature shaft, I've beaten on it with a hard rubber mallet, then used a reciprocating saw, no blade, to vibrate it. I started with a heat gun, and moved to a torch. I've been beating it now with a hammer, figured the armature is toast by now any way. I'm going to try another form of driving it off, then I guess I'll take the axle assembly off next and try the pounding the thing on concrete to make it come off. If all of that doesn't get it off, I don't know what else to do except replace the transaxle. Wish me luck!
Old 05-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The drop trick works
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
space
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
Thanks, Guys! So, far it ain't budging. I've resorted to heat. I put some ratcheting tie down straps on it to apply tension. I've gone through a can of WD40. I've tapped on the end of the armature shaft, I've beaten on it with a hard rubber mallet, then used a reciprocating saw, no blade, to vibrate it. I started with a heat gun, and moved to a torch. I've been beating it now with a hammer, figured the armature is toast by now any way. I'm going to try another form of driving it off, then I guess I'll take the axle assembly off next and try the pounding the thing on concrete to make it come off. If all of that doesn't get it off, I don't know what else to do except replace the transaxle. Wish me luck!
That's my next move also. I REALLY don't want to replace it. They are expensive.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well, I have an up date. I got the sucker off! last ditch effort before taking the axles off and pounding it on the concrete. I took a crow bar, the old-timey type, and a small had sledge and put the tip on the Armature windings at the input shaft end and beat the dickens out of it. With the ratchet straps tight as a drum, I expected it to fly off once I broke the grip, but it moved a little and I had t keep pounding until it came off. I've attached a few pictures. Sorry, I didn't have a pick of the pounding, I was alone at t he time, but I'm sure all of you know what that's like. I'll brush the splines out and use some anti-seize lube when I put the new motor on.

Now I have one more question: There wasn't one of those rubber bushings inside the motor spline (female)end. Do I still need one? I understand what it's for, but since there wasn't one in there now, I asked. And, I have read that some people ran into problems with them being too thick.

Add'l note: The CC Parts manual doesn't list a bumper for this model motor. The other OEM motor has a coupler ring, but it appears to different, like it goes over the male end spline shaft (Input). Motor CC p/n: 1012191; M#: 5BC48JB764.

Thanks for all of the help. Now to continue forward with the rest. I'm sure you'll hear more from me soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (157.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (172.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (153.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (214.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (160.0 KB, 0 views)

Tags
electric, old motor, stuck, transaxle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car