lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Major golf cart issues or minor issues

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for allowing me access to the site and forums.

Just a little background my mother has a 1991 36 volt ezgo marathon golf cart and it has several issues that I've been attempting to resolve but some issues that have come and gone. won't do a whole laundry list of issues in one post so I will do a couple of posts total to get the two major issues out of the way.

First issue and it may be just one thing or multiple I don't know. It possibly could be a bad battery or more or something more complex or not so complex I just do not know enough about golf carts in general but usually can be informed on how to check things especially if there are videos and not wiring diagrams, at 47 I still do not understand them.

Ok my mothers golf cart batteries recently was dead as a doornail. She said it had been driving fine then started having problems where it would jerk and barely move, she would put it on the charger and it would be fine but it started happening more and more and sometimes she would have the charger on for hours and nothing would happen.

I went over with separate vehicle battery chargers that work on 6volt systems and tried charging the batteries up one at a time (had 2 chargers). at first I was getting absolutely no % readings on my charger and I'd say after about 7 or so hours of charging (15amp charger and other was a 10 amp) I was able to get the battery up to 52%. Long story short she lives 2 hours away so my time is limited to when I am off work so knew I did not have enough time to sit there and charge all 6 batteries up that way.

put it on the system over night (mind you only 2 batteries had been charging at this point) her charger might be another issue on its own as its hard to get into and charging but that's another issue all together.

next morning after about 6-8 more hours of charging the system battery meter indicated the whole system was over 36 volts, want to say close to 40 volts and the batteries was at 76%

For the first time in two weeks (i can make it over there every two weeks due to work) she was able to use her cart. she used it multiple times one time for quite a bit and it had dropped from 98% to like 82% but we are talking like 4 or so hours of use. charged it again never got it quite to 100%, 98% was ever the highest. then it had some issues driving, put on charger got it to like 86% or something like that left it on the charger over night and next morning it was at like 73%.

she tried to use it, cause at 73% it should work fine but she could not get it to move forward or reverse. no movement at all, she put it on the charger again and a few hours later it was at 68% and when she tried to move it and pushed the peddle all she heard was a click and nothing.

there currently is no accessories connected to the cart other than a battery meter to the master positive and master negative (that was something I didn't know about either until I happened to find that out).

so here's the question related to this

I assume a bad battery that is losing its charge being they all are connected together would cause the whole system to drain over time. if more than one battery even faster.

my battery charger will say if a battery is bad during the course of charging but I just may not have enough time to test each battery that way one at a time.

so here's the real question, to rule out a bad battery whats the quickest and easiest way to test them (even if having to isolate them one at a time)? I assume with a multi meter but what settings and results should I be expecting.

and then the next part of the question is:

say all the batteries test as good, given it made a click noise but would not move the last time she tried using it does that point to some other part thats bad and if its bad could it be draining the power?

its possible its more than one issue here I just do not know where to start and due to my work hours and such time when there seems quick.

My first goal is to get the cart up and running so it can be used as I work on other issues.

hope this was not too long,

Ryan
rgs80074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Major golf cart issues or minor issues

First thing you'll have to do is charge each battery with your 6 volt chargers until the charger shuts off on its own. Then after they are all charged plug her cart charger in and let it complete a full cycle. Let the batteries rest about 12 hours and check the voltage of the pack and each battery. If you have to, pull the batteries and take them home with you to charge.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello,

So if I take all the batteries home and charge them up. they all should stay more or less fully charged over a few days or so on their own eliminating the batteries as being bad.

If after they are charged not sure what the purpose is to putting them on the carts charger too for a full cycle and does that full cycle mean its 11 or 12 hour setting. The charge is a sb50 connection and believes its actually meant for the other model the txt or something like that, the charger says txt 18amp etc on it.

What about the solenoid could that be the problem? I mean it looks real old probably the original one.

If i can get the cart running again and the batteries are not draining and its the solenoid thats bad and the batteries are good I can get it working quicker for her instead of have to wait weeks in between me being able to help her.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 05-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You charge them individually first to make sure they charge more evenly with the carts charger. If you have one battery low the others will be overcharged before the low one is fully charged, if it even gets fully charged. One weak or bad battery will bring the remaining batteries down because of this. Run times will be drastically shorter.

After the resting period, a 6 volt battery should be 6.4 -6.5 volts. For a deep cycle battery to charge it will need roughly 2.45 volts per cell. With three cells in a six volt battery the charge voltage will need to be almost 7.5 volts to fully charge it. The resting period gives the cells time to dissipate that extra voltage so you get a more accurate reading of the battery.

If you have to pull them to charge at home, the final charge in the cart shouldn't take long. That charge will also help balance the batteries. All of this charging will get you to where you can do an accurate load test on each battery.

Usually when a solenoid fails it's the contacts that fail. To test that, put the negative lead from your meter to the pack negative. Place the red lead on the solenoids large post that's connected to the pack positive. Record that reading and press the pedal to activate the solenoid, move the red lead to the other larger post and check that voltage. They should be very close, anything over a volt difference and I would change the solenoid. You can also check the resistance across the large terminals with it engaged, disconnect the battery wire from the solenoid first. Any resistance over 1 or 2 ohms and it's time for a new solenoid.

Other possibilities..... F/R switch, poor connection, bad motor brushes and the wiper assembly.

Look at all the connections, clean and tighten any that even looks a little corroded or rusty. This includes the ones on the motor, batteries, resistors, wiper and the forward/reverse switch. Get a can of contact cleaner and spray the contact pads in the F/R switch and the wiper assembly.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hello thanks,

I'll test what i can there this weekend. is the wiper assembly something other than like windshield wipers? If not then thats not it cause there are non.

Thanks for the advice I'll do what I can while I am there this weekend (really only 1 day and a half) and report back.

Ryan
Old 06-04-2022, 05:19 PM   #6
rgs80074
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello my great advisors.

Here are some results of the tests I did but unfortunately I can not take the batteries home at this time, very long story, well not so long pulled my back and no one else can get them out.

also I am not thinking my tests are accurate for which I'll explain

tested the battery pack as a whole: 35v
each individual battery not connected to anything tested at 4v

if you look at johnnieB chart that puts the system at 10-20% depending on what you go by, less than 10% for each batter but 20% as a whole, I'd think those should be the same level.

also if you go by the reading given me my car batter 12v system is at 11v and 13v when running. the 11v also puts the system under 10%.

so with that stated that meter is being returned back to the store cause i don't trust it and I did not have another one around to use.

the cart has a battery meter yesterday it was at 70% 37.2v or .3v etc. today it was saying 69% 37.1v. nothing had been used on it at all.

after doing the tests of the pack and each battery and doing the work put everything back together and it says 36.9v and 67%.

I think that meter is more accurate than the multimeter i was using but also think it can change a bit based on how well or order its connected to the master + and - of the bank.

cart is on charger now will see what it gets too and stays at for a day or two without being used.

solenoid test

master - on pack to positive battery on it 33/34 both ends 0/1 push pedal and cart took off something its not been doing , moving at all that is.

again i think the results can not be trusted from that meter.

replaced the solenoid anyway since i had the new one already.

do think the whole compartment needs a good blowing
terminals cleaned and cable ends cleaned or/and replaced

carts on charger now

ryan

Tags
battery issue, electric, no go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO