lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Default Melex Brake Woes

I have 2 melex 212 motors/rear axles for my cart. The one in the cart was noisy which I thought was because there was no fluid in the differential. I added gear lube, but it didn't reduce the noise. I decided to try the second motor rear axle and swapped out the entire unit. The brake pad on the second motor was worn to the rivets so I replaced it with the one off the other motor. However, I get a serious grinding noise off the brake when I move and even giving the brake more slack did not help. The drum is badly scored on that one from the rivets on the pad. I thought I'd move the brake drum off the motor tailshaft of the other motor to replace the bad one, but so far I can't get it off. I removed the 2 bolts that anchor the drum hub to the motor shaft but so far no success getting it off. Is there a trick to getting that drum off of the motor shaft? I guess I could pull the motors off the rear ends and move the whole motor and brake drum to the other differential? Not sure which is a harder job. If anybody has done this I could use some advice.

Thanks in advance.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
philtay
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Melex Brake Woes

Sounds like the key bit in the shaft has corroded and that's what's making it difficult to remove. You've done the right thing by removing the bolts, but how about shoving a load of WD40 or dismantling fluid down the bolt holes and leaving it for an hour or two. It should come off. I know this cart and motor well, and that's normally worked for me.

I have a spare Melex 212 brake assembly (actually I have 2 now I think about it), so if you need a replacement, drop me a line. I can probably ship it over the atlantic easily enough.
philtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex