lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
tfbtfb
Not Yet Wild

Default 1978 Harley DE 40 buzzing sound

I just bought a 78 DE40 Harley Davidson. It has a wiring problem. I have looked at the wiring diagram on VintageGolfCartParts.com and it looks like every thing is wired up correctly. Whenever I turn the key to forward or reverse the "switch" below the bottom solenoid starts to buzz and the cart won't move.

The "switch" I am referring to is wired from the micro switch mounted on the speed control wiper. The other side of the "switch" is wired to the bottom solenoid. I have attached a picture that shows the bottom solenoid and the "switch" I am referring to.

It looks like there was some burnt wires that were replaced at some point so I think something is wired wrong but I can't seem to find it.

Any help in figuring this out would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (61.4 KB, 0 views)
tfbtfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Craigs carts
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1978 Harley DE 40 buzzing sound

reverse buzzer
Craigs carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
tfbtfb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1978 Harley DE 40 buzzing sound

Thanks!

It buzzes whether I go forward or reverse but I will just take it out of the circuit.

Now I have to figure out why it won't move....thought it was someting to do with the buzzing sound.

Are there any common issues with these carts that may give me a good starting point?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
tfbtfb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1978 Harley DE 40- small fire

Small Fire...

I removed the buzzer and hooked the yellow wire straight to the solenoid. The yellow wire is then jumpered to the large post of the solenoid that is connected to the N terminal of a battery.

The yellow wire is wired on the same screw at the forward/reverse toggle switch (the key) as the red wire going to the upper left solenoid (reverse solenoid?)

I flipped the switch (not sure which way at this point...lost track during the fire) and hit the accelerator pedal and the yellow wire caught on fire.

What is going on with this Harley? .I only paid $325 bucks for it but thought the wiring looked pretty simple.

By the way- I put in a new solenoid so the old solenoid is still bolted to the cart behind the new one in the pic. Also the yellow wire leading to the left side screw is now actually burnt up and black in the picture. I hope the picture helps solve the problem.

Please help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burnt wire.jpg (129.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by tfbtfb; 05-06-2012 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: forgot some key info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson