lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
tfbtfb
Not Yet Wild

Default 78 Harley smoking Resitor Coil

I have been working on a 1978 DE 40 cart. Had the motor rebuilt, fixed burnt wiring and finaly got the wheels to move.

The wheels seem to spin fine going forward but when I switch to reverse I have a problem

When I turn the switch to reverse and hit the accelerator pedal the cart does not move until I release the pedal and then the wheels turn and the resistor coil seems to be smoking.

Anybody know what the problem might be???
tfbtfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Kongas22
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 78 Harley smoking Resitor Coil

You didnt use the wiring diagram from VintageCartParts did you when you did the wiring job? They have 2 wires crossed going to the motor. A1 and S2 . I wired mine like that and got my resistors smoking too. DE-40?
Kongas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
oink
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 78 Harley smoking Resitor Coil

Mine is a 1980 3wheel. Didn't move in reverse and smoked. Changed the reverse solenoid (6volt/6terminal) and now works fine. Purchased the solenoid from motorcityreman.com for 79.99 including shipping. Other companies had them for over 120 without shipping.
oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson