lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
Beebe Motorsports
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 club car clutch

im trying to remove the clutch on a 2006 Club car .
i made a tool ( rod ) and use a bolt ( like i seen the sell the 2 piece tool )
but i got the rod stuck in the crank and i went to drill out the center and tap it to 1/4-20 so i could use a side hammer to get the homemade tool out i broke the tap off !

any idea how i can get the clutch off with out the puller ?

Thanks
Desperate
Beebe Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 club car clutch

If you didnt use a hardened rod (like a grade 8 bolt with the head cut off) the end of it can mushroom inside the tapped end of the crankshaft. Once this happens, you're kinda up a creek. I've got an engine sitting on my workbench right now that someone did exactly that...

You've got 2 problems. 1. The stuck clutch that may or may not come off in one piece. And 2. The crankshaft with a bar jammed into the end of it.

I cut the clutch off with a cutoff wheel to get it cut down, then used a chisel and a hammer to crack the clutch and break it away the rest of the way. Sorta like you would do with a wheel bearing race that's still pressed onto the hub.

I tried several things and that's the only way I could get it off to remove the vase side cover to pull the engine apart. Their bolt is still in there, I havent tried to get it out or messed with it any.

If you can get the bolt into the end of it still, you may be able to use a slide hammer to beat it off the crank and salvage the clutch. Maybe not, depends on how hard its stuck on there.

Once you get the clutch off, you might be able to cut off your rod, drill it out and re tap it, though you'll need to order a left hand tap.

A messy situation for sure, and unfortunately not an easy way out. Taking your time, going slowly, and being patient are your friends. Getting frustrated, as easy as that may be, will only make it worse.

Worst case you'll need to buy a new clutch and crankshaft. Shop Ebay carefully, or check the buy/sell section here. Some of us have parted out engines and stuff with holes in the case where the crank is okay
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Beebe Motorsports
Not Yet Wild

CP241 so i can try and thread in a 7/16 bolt in the end of the clutch and try a slde hammer ? would it help if i heat the clutch before i slide hammer ?
Beebe Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I wouldnt try and heat anything. It's not rusted, its press fit on. Heat is only going to melt things. Plus the clutch is mostly aluminum and you'll damage it before the steel would get hot enough to make any difference.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
mulderab1
Not Yet Wild

I did the same thing, then was able to solve it with grease.

Stick a finger of grease in the clutch, then wrap the 7/16 bolt with a ton of Teflon tape and tighten. You will likely have to repeat a couple of times before you build up enough hydraulic pressure to pop it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mulderab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderab1 View Post
I did the same thing, then was able to solve it with grease.

Stick a finger of grease in the clutch, then wrap the 7/16 bolt with a ton of Teflon tape and tighten. You will likely have to repeat a couple of times before you build up enough hydraulic pressure to pop it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^ This right here is your only chance of saving this I think. That would be my solution.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car